Saturday, October 20, 2007

The beginning...

There were two lines.

We had joked and even speculated about the possibility the past two weeks, but never did we actually think it would happen -- I mean, only 25 percent of couples get pregnant on the first "try" so to speak. I had performed "the test" a few minutes earlier and Ray checked the results when time was up. He did and a very strange-sounding voice called out, "You're pregnant." I didn't really believe him -- not that I thought he was lying. But come on! Upon my own examination, there sure were two very difinitive pink lines on the stick.

The next few minutes/hours are a blur of "Are you sure you did this right?" and "Ohmigod." We eventually made our way to Target to get some milk a couple of new books. I remembered at some point that I owed my brother Brian a birthday phone call and left him a message.

Other than that, I began reading "What to Expect When You're Expecting" and researching local ObGyns. More on this later, I'm sure - but I have this male phobia when it comes to certain aspects of medical care. Well, there's four ObGyns in town -- three are men. I sure hope the woman is taking new customers...

So, I plan to call Monday morning and make an appointment. We'll also take another at-home test tomorrow, probably. Just to double-check.

I also learned in the book and online that the 40 weeks of pregnany are counted from the date of the last period. Which means I'm already in week three -- and that babies are conceived during the first or second week of pregnancy, which seems kinda' odd. I also saw a pic of the itty bitty thing in my book -- reminds me of our geckos a little bit.

Well, thus the beginning of a very interesting journey, I suppose.

- Bethany :)

3 comments:

Kelly said...

Beth & Ray, I'm so excited for you! I'm going to be an auntie!
:-)

Love,
Kelly

Jean said...

Wow! Grandchild number 9! We are so excited!

Grandma and Grandpa Wesley

mk said...

We are so tickled pink (ha...pink) about your news! There is something special about your daughter having a baby....such a cool feeling.

Bemidji sure was a good move for you both. We love you...mom