Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Happy New Year!

We heard our baby for the first time today.

We had an appointment this morning and the doctor was able to locate the baby and we could (finally) hear his/her heartbeat. First, she pointed out my heartbeat (a louder, slower beat) and a few moments later found the baby’s (a much quicker, softer thump-thump-thump sound). It was pretty cool, I must say.

Ray has quite a few new nicknames for me, one of which is Chicken Little – I guess he thinks I always think the worst is going to happen or is happening. So, in true Chicken Little spirit, I was a bit nervous at the onset of the appointment as it took her a few moments to find the baby's heartbeat. She said I had gotten bigger, and I looked good so she wasn’t overly concerned, but I kind of think that even the doctor seemed a bit relieved after hearing the heartbeat (Ray would disagree with this assessment).

Either way, it was a quite comforting - and amazing - sound!

The entire appointment lasted about 10-15 minutes and concluded with me inquiring as to my weight situation. After a glance at my chart, the doctor told me I had actually lost 2 pounds since my last visit one month ago (oops). She gave me some pointers about gaining calories (drinking pop!) and said the main thing was to keep the prenatal vitamins down, even if I am feeling nauseas.

We are scheduled for an ultrasound and a third appointment on Jan. 30. With luck, we might be able to find out the sex of the baby that day – keep your fingers crossed that s/he doesn’t keep his/her legs crossed!!!

Thanks for checking on us,
Bethany :)

4 comments:

Jean said...

I am so pleased that you were both able to hear the baby's heartbeat! It seems to me to be the first real thing! Next will come the pictures and the movement!

We Love You All!

david said...

Truly is a Happy New Year! Love you two and can't wait to see you in a couple weeks. Take it easy til then.
Dave

mk said...

Must get the worrying from her mom...sorry, Ray.

I couldn't be happier for you two. I love the excitement that you both show! The laughs, the giggles...makes me smile just thinking about it.

Can't wait to come up and see you soon! (hope it warms up!)

Love mom

wmurphy said...

We are soooooo happy for you guys! Hearing the heartbeat is so exciting when it seems kind of surreal, isn't it?

We love you!
Wendy, Charles, & Alex