Sunday, January 27, 2008

Lost Forty


Ray and I decided to enjoy the above-zero weather this weekend and spend Sunday afternoon snowshoeing around the Lost Forty, a 140-acre site in the Chippewa National Forest that has untouched red and white pine trees. In short, basically a surverying error in the 1800s marked the entire area as under water, so loggers never intruded on the area.

We learned several things during our two-hour adventure. First, my car gets stuck in snow quite easily -- and Bethany should never be in charge of steering it when trying to get it out. Secondly, we need to buy poles to accompany the snoeshoes. Badly.

We had a very nice time out on the trail. I, particularly, enjoyed watching Ray lose his balance, fall and slide down a very steep hill. Well, I at least thought it was funny until I had my own mishap on another hill about one-quarter mile later.

As the photo indicates, the trees were absolutely breathtaking. They were huge. A co-worker friend of Ray's said you could tie three of him side-by-by-side and the tree trunks would still be thicker -- he was right. These trees were huge. And, I, after many years of trying to tell the difference, finally learned the difference between a red and white pine.

It was a beautiful day to be outside and we didn't see anyone else while we were out hiking -- which was appreciated consideringn our frequent missteps and falls. Nothing bad, if anyone is wondering. We just lost out footing a few times.

We snowshoed about two miles maybe, and were outside for about two hours. We figured we could have actually hiked the trail in one-tenth the time, without snowshoes, but I don't think we would have had QUITE so much fun.

All in all, it was good day.

So, no baby news today. I'll probably post something new tomorrow - Monday - before the ultrasound on Wednesday.

Wishing everyone a good week!
- Bethany :)

1 comment:

mk said...

Wow! I am so proud of both of you for venturing out! Sounds like it was quite a day. Loved the pics!

Dave and I have been scouting out the crib and other nursery furniture. Alot has changed since you were little!

We love you...mom