Monday, January 21, 2008

Reflections

I'm either getting bored or getting a bit more used to this blogging thing. Either way, here's another update for anyone interested. No topic in particular, just some overall thoughts that keep running through my mind (maybe if I post them, I'll be able to get them out of my head).

I sometimes can't believe how much things can change so quickly. It was just about one year ago that Ray and I started taking up "winter hiking" as we were going stir crazy in the apartment. Little did I know at the time that it wasn't the apartment, but the Twin Cities that was driving us nutty. It wasn't too long after January that things got, well, interesting, for me at work and we began to look at other options. There was a time a few years back that Ray and I set a long-term goal to retire, or somehow eventually end up in Ely, Minn., and while I haven't really asked him, I know that he is loving Bemidji and those plans are probably on hold for the time being.

Ray and I are both blessed to have caring parents. Ray's parents have come up and visited a few times earlier this year -- and my parents made a repeat visit this past weekend. Talk about an ability to pick them! We woke up Saturday to - 20-something degrees and Sunday was just a few degrees warmer. Welcome to Brrrrmidji, I guess. Snowshoeing was out, but we had a blast going to the local shops (we found the nicest little bakery) and went bowling. OK, if you hadn't heard, the highlight of the afternoon was when Ray, who hadn't closed out a frame all game, bowled a turkey in the 10th frame (three consecutive strikes) -- it was hilarious. Too bad for him it didn't carry over to the second game... We had a great time, and time went too quickly, as usual. Just two more weeks until we visit the Cities (Ray is so looking forward to making that drive again).

On the baby front, this second trimester thing is interesting, to say the least. I really kind of forget that I'm pregnant sometimes. Not really, but I don't "feel" pregnant. I'm not sick, not anymore tired than usual. Then, I look in the mirror or Ray sees me from the side and you remember, "Oh yeah, that's why I feel fat." (Speaking of which, I tried to have Ray take a "belly shot" yesterday, but I couldn't bring myself to post it. Maybe later this week...) Granted, it's not like I was ever a supermodel or anything, but it's emotionally very difficult to outgrow your pants, especially after you've recently lost a pretty good amount of weight. But I digress.

On the plus side, I have a happier husband since I started cooking on a regular basis. I know, who'd have thunk? I don't hate it, but I don't love it either. But I do like having "real" food on the weekends, and Ray is even starting to experiment with leftovers at work (how the boy got through life without having to eat any leftovers is beyond me -- I swear, he would be content with having just corn dogs and french fries for lunch the rest of his life, if I would let him). Finding foods we agree on is difficult. Very difficult.

We have made some progress on the nursery front, although not in the actual space of the nursery if that makes sense. Basically, we've talked about wanting to do a northwoods theme, with the animals that you might see in the Minnesota wilderness, but this weekend we actually bought some stuff (thanks also to Grandma and Grandpa!) But, we got three little pillows with a baby wolf, moose and turtle). My aunt is also making an accompanying quilt featuring baby animals, including deer, bears and foxes. So cute! Now, we just have to actually do something with the second bedroom, as in move out the old and get going on the walls.

In other news:

-- The husband would be upset if I didn't say that he thoroughly enjoyed the Giants-Packers game last night. Now, he's just hoping Brett Favre will (finally) retire, but who knows. Either way, the football season has taken a little bit of a nicer turn for Ray.

-- I had just finally fallen asleep last night when every smoke alarm in the house went off. Still don't know what caused it. Malfunction, I suppose. By the time Ray got to his feet, the alarms were silent again. Whatever. So, I spent the next 30 minutes tossing and turning. That was fun. I think if there is one thing I miss most about being not pregnant, it was the ability to fall asleep immediately when my head hit the pillow. I don't like waiting to fall asleep. All you're doing is wasting time during which you could be sleeping. (Ooh, but I have found that Breath Rights are a godsend for wives whose husbands keep them awake at night.)

-- Ultrasound reminder: We got in next Wednesday, Jan. 30. We really hope it is a "productive" appointment, but as long as everybody still is healthy, we'll be happy.

Thanks for reading, as always.
- Bethany :)

1 comment:

Kelly said...

I can't wait to see the finished nursery. I hope Jason and I will make a trip up to you guys this year!