Friday, May 9, 2008

I've been a bit MIA

Sorry for the lack of an update lately. I've been feeling a bit sluggish and lazy lately, so forgive me. It's hard work carrying this belly around everywhere!

So what's new? Well, we had another doctor's appointment on Wednesday during which I learned that little Lola is now measuring about one week behind schedule. OK, so we went first from measuring large, then to measuring on time, and now she is measuring small or a bit late (by one week). Basically, it reinforces my belief that if she's measuring approximately where she should be and she has a strong heartbeat, then I'll be just fine with that. This whole measuring thing is a bit strange, if you ask me. But that's just a personal opinion. I'm just not going to sit and wonder or speculate about whether she might be late now. We'll find out in about two months.

We also had our final birthing class on Wednesday during which we learned quite a bit about c-sections. Most interesting was that our hospital in town does more than the average of c-sections (most are roughly around 22-25 percent and ours can be anywhere from 35 to 50 percent). While trying to be sensitive to those who live in this area, this can be attributed to many factors, including diabetes or a lack of prenatal care or precautions. Read into that what you will.

During class we also got a huge book about what to do with the baby once s/he is born and how to care for him/her. This includes everything from breastfeeding to changing a diaper (i.e. don't use baby powder and if you have a cold sore, don't touch the baby if at all possible). We also discussed how to take the baby's temperature if needed -- let's just say Ray and I agreed that the under-the-armpit method was much preferable to the other suggested possibility.

The worst part of class was when we lied down on the mats to do our breathing exercises. Something happened to my back once I laid down. I had this pain in my lower back and I couldn't really get up and I could barely walk the rest of the night or yesterday. Today (Friday) I'm doing a bit better, but whatever it was it was really, really painful. I'm guessing that it probably wasn't contraction-like painful, but when the nurse had us practicing how to breath through the pain, I at least had real-life pain to play with (and I learned that the breathing exercises do NOT take the pain away, so I have little faith in their abilities come D-Day).

We also had our first true sign of summer this week when I found my first wood tick crawling on my leg Wednesday night. I hate looking for ticks under normal circumstances, but they're a lot harder to find when you can't even see the lower half of your body to do a complete inspection. Oh well, I guess it beats snowflakes.

Anyhow, thanks for checking on us! Enjoy the weekend -- happy fishing to those hitting the lakes!
- Bethany :)

1 comment:

mk said...

You are so darn funny! I would not be handling the whole tick thing to good...not even sure what they look like!

I really like the ear temperature taking thing too...works pretty good I think!

Relax and enjoy these last few weeks...Love mom