Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Lola Elizabeth Wesley



Up until Sunday, my favorite word in the English language had been onomatopoeia. It is now Epidural.

From first contraction to final push, I was in labor for 25 1/2 hours. After 11 hours at home, another 14 in the hospital and several "I don't want to do this anymore" comments, Lola made her long-awaited entrance at 3:45 a.m. Monday, July 14. She weighed 8 pounds, 9 ounces and was 20 inches long. She was, and still is, perfect. She got two 9s for her Apgar scores and came out wanting to eat right away.

It was truly not like anything I imagined or expected. But, despite the pain and stress and labor, I am doing pretty good. I had to keep things somewhat interesting, so after everything was all said and done and they were getting ready to transfer me to another room, I decided to pass out a few times. Three or four, no one is really quite sure. Loss of blood and all that. Makes the birth story just that much more interesting, I guess.

But we have recovered and are now home. Ray is just head over heels. We are adjusting to our new lives and optimistically like to think that she is going to sleep as well here as she did in the hospital.

But for now, we are just cuddling as a family and enjoying our time together.

Thanks for all your support throughout the past nine -- ten -- months. We appreciate it all.

Love,
Bethany :)

P.S. Just in case anyone was wondering, onomatopoeia is a word that imitates the sound it represents, such as "boom," "bang," or animal noises such as "oink" or "meow."

4 comments:

mk said...

Her eyes are open!! I just adore that picture! It is hard to find the right words to really express it all! Amazaing! Beautiful! Remarkable! Proud! As your nurse said you were a real trooper! And Ray, you just blew us away with your support and care for our daughter...and of course we are just beside ourselves with joy with our little Lola....We love all you so much...mom

david said...

Well I might be a little biased but what the heck, I can be! She is Perfect! Well worth the wait. The 2 of you are going to make great parents. We are proud of you both and very happy for you both.
Welcome home Lola!
Love you
Grandpa Dave

Jean said...

Well - I am just a little jealous that we won't be the first Grandparents to meet Lola, but I am happy for your parents Bethany --- and I am counting down the hours until we get to meet Lola!

The pictures are great - she is a real beauty! We will see you guys tomorrow!

Love to all

Grandma Jean

Sarah said...

Bethany,
She is so precious!!! Congratulations!! It's amazing how those little ones cause us so much work and pain but then we look at them and it's all worth it. Enjoy your time with Lola and Ray!
Sarah