Sunday, July 27, 2008

Whew! A long update...




Hello to anyone who is still checking this! Lola turned two weeks old today, which is so hard for us to believe. She has changed so much and while we are still learning, we have certainly come a long way in the last week or so.

Things last week were hectic, to say the least. On Tuesday, I woke up with a fever of 102.5. After a call to the nurse, we went to the clinic for lab work, learned that the doctor wanted to see me and was admitted to the hospital. Surprised? Uh, yeah, me too. Turns out I had somehow contracted a uterine infection and after a few IVs full of antibiotics and a good night's sleep, I was released Wednesday afternoon. I felt better Thursday and was back to myself by Friday.

So, then, as about 20 relatives came to visit fro her baptism on Sunday and party on Saturday, Lola became a bit ill herself Saturday morning. After a call to the nurse, she was taken to the walk-in clinic and subsequently transferred to the emergency room with the possibility of being admitted to the hospital herself. The doctors were worried that my infection had somehow spread to her, which would be incredibly dangerous. So, then, after some lab work and some very loud, angry cries, doctors determined that she had an eye infection and sent us home with some eye cream. Needless to say, she was not a happy baby that morning.

On to happier things, the baptism was wonderful Sunday. She was a perfect angel. Didn't cry and barely even stirred during the service. It was wonderful.

We are so amazed at how much she has changed since she was born. The little baby that originally refused to open to her eyes is now captivated by so many sights. She loves to stare at faces and her gecko tanks, but the actual reptiles have yet to catch her eye too much.

A few lessons we have learned, in no particular order:

- Breastfeeding is hard. Very, very hard. When Mommy is trying to rationalize reasons for waiting to feed the child - "She could make it another 30 minutes or so" - it's time to call the lactation consultant. And buy more lanolin.

- Lola does not like have her clothes changed. Ever.

- Whomever came up with the idea that babies don't smile was wrong. OK, maybe it is gas or whatever, but I choose to believe she really is smiling at me. And is happy. At least momentarily.

I'm sure there are a lot more, but that's what I have now.

Thanks for checking on us,
-Bethany :)

1 comment:

david said...

She is so very precious. I miss her so much and can't wait to hold her again soon!

I am so very proud of you, Bethany. You are and will be a great MOM!

It has been an adventure but I wouldn't change it, well maybe the hospital parts we could of skipped, but I loved every minute with you and Lola.

Mom