Friday, November 28, 2008

Holiday firsts

Here are a few of Lola's first holiday experiences.

Today was her first Thanksgiving meal, although she obviously didn't get to partake in any of the goodies. I actually worked on Thursday, so Ray and I - and Lola - had our own celebration today (Friday).

You can see that we had the best centerpiece ever! Ha! Seriously, she hates to not be in the middle of whatever is going on and we couldn't get her to sit still in her high chair or in her bouncy seat without screaming. But she sure like sitting on the table.

It was the first Thanksgiving meal Ray and I ever made, too. Of course, those of you who know me know that cooking is not exactly a strength of mine, although I am learning to fake it a little bit. But today's meal was positively exhausting. And it was just for two! My least favorite part, by far, was dealing with the giblets or whatever they're called. Really, I was cutting the liver and I thought the bird was going to start crying or screaming or something. Too much realism for me. I like my meat to not actually look like the animal that it once was, I think.




OK, and here is Lola's first experience with an elf. Yep, nothing says Merry Christmas like a chicken-dancing elf, and snowmen, but that's a story for another day. (Short version: Bemidji sponsors a parade the day after Thanksgiving every year in celebration of the lighting of the Christmas lights in town. My work has dancing snowmen and elves.)


I love the second picture, where Lola is staring at me wondering, "What are you doing, Mama?" It's a legitimate question, I think.

Happy Thanksgiving!
- Bethany :)

No comments: