Thursday, January 29, 2009

so much drama...

This might be long...

OK, so before I get into the events of yesterday, you should know two things:
- We have three geckos. (We do raise them, in theory, but the only baby that they ever produced was killed at 3 days old when the scorpion got a hold of him. (We no longer have scorpions.))
- Ray built the geckos a specialized tank this summer that requires removal of a pane of glass to get in and out of the tanks.

You can probably guess where this is going.

It was a normal day at work, about 4:30 p.m., as I was reading some copy and preparing to get out of the office about 5:30 p.m. or so. My cell rang, but I was talking to a co-worker, so I ignored it. It rang again, but I again didn't get to it.

When my desk phone rang and Ray was a little breathless on the phone, I thought that maybe I should have answered those cell calls.

"You need to come home right now."

So I gathered all my stuff and left. I called him back on the cell while on the way home and he told me that he was cleaning the gecko tanks when he somehow accidentlly kicked the pane of glass and cut his foot. Badly.

So I get home and there is Ray, lying on the ground rocking the baby in her bouncer chair while holding a very, very red towel over his foot. I figured we are going to the hospital, but Ray would have none of that. He is "fine," just needs me to go get gauze, etc.

So our night was spent with Ray tending to his injury (which was pretty gross by the way - a long, U-shaped cut along his big toe and foot - he's lucky he didn't lose his big toe), I got to spend the night cleaning up blood splatters all over the carpet. Yay.

But all of that was over by about 7-8 p.m.

Lola went down - for the first time - at about 7:30 p.m. We've been trying to let her fuss a bit in her crib on her own if she won't stay asleep. So, when she started crying at about 8 p.m., I didn't think too much of it.

But those cries quickly turned to high-pitched shrieks.

I went in to her room and Lola - who sleeps on her left side - must have lost her nuk to her left and rolled over to try to get it. Well, in the process, she somehow managed to roll on top of her left arm and got her face pushed up against the bars of her crib.

She was stuck.

And obviously upset and angry - and very loud. It took us about 20 minutes to get her back to sleep ... and then she woke up 5 minutes later anyways.

Lola then decided that it was playtime from 9-10 p.m. and would have nothing to do with sleep. Plus, she was in such a happy mood:



She finally went down at 11 p.m. Ray and I watched "Lost" and went to bed at midnight.

It certainly wasn't the evening we were expecting!
- Bethany :)