Tuesday, June 16, 2009

11 months old already...



Wow. I see Lola every day, but it seems like every week or two, I'll look at her and barely recognize her. She is changing so much, so quickly. This weekend, we had some family time Sunday and I think Ray and I realized that Lola isn't really our "baby" so much anymore. Toddlerhood is one month away (as my baby books keep reminding me) - and Lola is headed in that direction with gusto.

She is changing in so many ways. I don't know when my kid became such a beanpole! Sure, she still has some of that baby chub, but she's moving around so much that it is very quickly shrinking. She couldn't squeeze into 12 months sizes just a few weeks ago and now it seems like I need a belt for her 18 months stuff!

(See, even she's trying to keep her pants on!)







She isn't walking yet, but she's learning to cruise and is always standing up. She now is getting to be a bit of a show-off and is holding on one-handed, or even no-handed if there is enough motivation (i.e snacks to eat or mischief to create).

She also is starting to mimic us a lot. Ray was making little dancing moves the other day, and Lola quickly followed suit. I so wish I had taken a video, but I wasn't that fast. But, she was swinging her hands and trying to dance like Daddy:







She is starting to understand her surroundings so well that it's scary. She has learned how to get under tables (but doesn't know how to get back out and gets stuck and cries), how to take her toys off the table and then put them back on the tables just to again take them off, she loves making noise by banging on things with her bare hands, and she has committed herself to learning someday, somehow how to get into the forbidden refrigerator.

We have, of course, had our share of mishaps. Lola wants whatever Mommy has - and while I've tried to be careful, I'm also not very smart all of the time. She got hold of the curling iron last week. Oops. There were some screams. Luckily, the iron had been turned off for quite some time and was barely warm to the touch, so she was fine (again, more snacks and lots of distraction).

But most of her owies have been her own fault. Standing too quickly, getting too excited, and plain old poor balance. But she's trying.

The funniest was yesterday -- this is a terrible story and Ray and I should not have laughed at all about it -- but it was too cute. Lola's absolutely favorite thing in the entire world is this large, plush, pink rabbit. It's her "fuzzes" -- and she will take off from one end of the house to the other just to grab it and snuggle for a few moments.




She knows where it is at all times and will not share him ever. Not with me or daddy either. If we take him or lay on him, Lola comes right over and yanks him back. She'll share and play with anything else, but that rabbits is absolutely hers.

Anyhow, yesterday she saw the rabbit as soon as I walked in the front door and she began wiggling and fighting to get out of my arms. She takes off crawling very fast and goes to her "fuzzes" and throws her head down - like very hard, very fast - to snuggle. But ... she missed. Bad. Wasn't even close. So she basically ended up throwing her head against the floor. And it was loud. And I'm sure it hurt. She was so angry. She was crying and upset, so I tried to pick her up and hug her, but she just got more mad - until I laid her on her rabbit. She smiled at me and cuddled there for a few moments. And then it was all better.

Rabbit trumps Mommy apparently.

(Now I just need to figure out how to wash the thing. It's getting pretty spitty.)

That's about it up here -- looking forward to heading south this weekend to catch up with family (including possibly, ahem, our newest family member due any day now... Maybe, hopefully?! No pressure, though, or anything!)

- Bethany :)

3 comments:

mk said...

She sounds very determined...like someone else I know very well. She is changing so fast. Such a doll! See you soon! new niece looks kind of doubtful by then though...sorry

Naomi Evans said...

So excited to see you this weekend!!

David and Mary Kay said...

Can't wait to see you all, well most of you anyway, well mostly Lola!!! Just kidding! Friday seems like a long way off but worth waiting for.
Cute outfit btw, seems familiar for some reason!
Love ya,
Grandpa