Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Lola's learning lots!



Life has been a bit of a blur the past week or so. Mainly due to our constant running after Lola and telling her "no" every time she reaches for and tries to eat the plants, TV remotes, rocks, socks, you get the picture.

Where did I leave off? Last Thursday night, Lola was up a lot during the night, which is unlike her. But what was really unlike her was that she was crying and wasn't hungry and had her nuk. I figured she was teething. Well, Friday (I had the day off because I worked that coming Saturday), she was miserable. Sad and whiny and just wanting to snuggle, which is not usually her thing. I took her temp and it was about 99. Gave her some Tylenol, put her to bed and she woke up with a temperature of 102. Great. Called the doctor and she was diagnosed with her first-ever ear infection. Oh joy. Ray had a rough night that Friday and Saturday, but Lola was back to herself on Sunday.

When healthy, Lola has been next to impossible to keep still. She is getting into everything! Though she's been capable of standing for a few weeks now, she now is understanding that if she stands, she can reach a lot of stuff she couldn't grab before. So, she stands all of the time now, holding onto her crib, tables, chairs, people, dogs, cars, whatever she can get hold of.



Her favorite activity now is going to her toy bin, standing and reaching for whatever toy strikes her as interesting at that moment. The funny part is she doesn't want to actually play with any of them, just take them out and toss them all over the floor. Fun times.




She actually has been standing, occasionally and possibly by accident, without holding onto anything at all. The first time she did this was when she had a sticker stuck to her hand and she stayed there for a few minutes before grabbing back onto the table. It was so neat to see -- and scary all at the same time. (I'm a wussy mommy; I hate it when she falls!)

She stands and tries to "jump" bending her knees and then standing back up. Her feet never leave the ground, but she enjoys it, laughing and laughing (probably spent too much time in the Jumperoo in earlier months). She is trying to climb, but hasn't quite figured that out yet (which is just fine by me!). She's learned to open cabinets and drawers.

She's now saying mama, dada and baba - even telling us this morning that she was hungry without crying: I was in the kitchen making lunch while she was crawling on the floor trying to figure out how to open the refrigerator (this is a new puzzler for her - she wants in so badly because she knows there is stuff in there that she doesn't get to play with). Lola came over to my feet and said, "Baba." I looked at her, she looked at me, repeating herself, "Baba." I thought Ray had already given her a bottle, and I honestly figured she was just babbling. But, when I turned from her, she got much more frantic, "Baba! Baba! Baba!" OK. I got the message. She ate.

Lola is trying to walk, sort of. She can walk a little ways while holding onto a table and trying to reach something interesting, usually Mommy's book, Mommy's food, Mommy's cell phone or Mommy's computer - but she has to have an objective or else she won't do it. She won't however, try to walk while you hold both her hands. I keep trying to get her to do it, but she doesn't understand. She just thinks you're going to pick her up, so she she sits down and reaches up for you.




That's really about it. We're starting to plan for her first birthday -- I can't believe I just wrote that. It is completely difficult for me to believe that she is almost one year old. But that's a whole 'nother entry for another day.

I'd wish you a happy summer -- but since we had to scrape our cars in Bemidji this morning, I think I'll just say good-bye,
Bethany :)

1 comment:

mk said...

Nice....love reading your blog. She sure is changing so fast! Can't wait to hold her...love you all mom