Tuesday, July 28, 2009

new directions

(This was Lola's first real big girl bath, as she has always been a bit intimidated by the big bathtub. But with a new batch of bath toys for her birthday she gladly took to the big tub.)

We've been going through some changes here lately. And, while this is probably the norm for most 1-year-olds, everything has been just a little bit trickier with our Lola.

I wouldn't call Lola a difficult baby or what have you, but she likes things the way she likes them. She never switched nipple sizes on her bottles (she just screamed when we tried to go up to size 2s), she never accepted larger pacifiers (again, more screaming), and she gets mad if her routine is out of whack. it takes her a fairly long time to warm up to people, and she has a very strong distrust of older men, particularly those with white or gray hair.

Well, along with her first birthday came some changes. Doctor last week told us to get her on real milk, take away the bottle and stop feeding her at nighttime. Also, and this will be the real tough one, stop warming up her bottles.

OK, this was something that perhaps in retrospect we would not have done. But, she liked her milk best when warm while she was an infant. And then it got to be a habit. And now she is one and won't touch anything that is room temperature or cooler.

Doctor knows Lola fairly well. He knows she is a screamer and that she isn't too much of a happy-go-lucky baby that adjusts well to change. Last week, when we brought Lola to see him, Doctor didn't even get the stethoscope off of his neck before Lola started shrieking and screaming at him. (And, no, the stethoscope wasn't even anywhere near her; she just must've known what was coming maybe?)

So, Doctor labeled Miss Lola our "spirited" and "strong-willed" child.

And advised us to invest in some earplugs.

So how are we doing on the changes? Um, not great. We have Lola on 100 percent whole milk, which was a bit of a battle in and of itself. We had some formula left, so we started mixing it 50-50 and then just stopped the formula completely. That was a nice win for us.

As is the nigtht time feedings. No, we still haven't just let her scream. But she has returned to sleeping (mostly) through the night. Ray now has been leaving the house at about 6 a.m., so he just gives her a bottle before he leaves. And we give her a bottle when we go to the bed at night, usually about 11 p.m.

Unfortunately, that's about as far as we've gotten. Lola is still using the bottle and is still getting warm milk. Ray got her, once, to take a cold bottle. But she wouldn't take it again.

So, we're gearing up for some miserable days at some point soon. We know we need to push it a bit more. Easier said than done, though. I kid you not, when Lola is mad, she takes her nuk and chucks it at you. At screams some more. Hard to fight that at 3 a.m. in the morning.

So now I am focused on, hopefully, getting her to take her sippy cup. The problem with that is that she sees it more as a teether and just wants to gnaw on the lip part. She will, occasionally, take a sip of juice or water out of it, especially if it is super warm outside, but mostly, she just plays with it. Which is, obviously, not our objective.

As for the warm milk, I just don't know. We're trying to cool it down each time, hoping to just make some progress little by little. We're looking at our goals in inches, not miles.

Wish us luck!
- Bethany :)

No comments: