Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Cities: Part 2

Our Saturday began with an Evans family tradition: going downtown for the annual Dayton's/Marshall Fields/Macy's holiday display.

(As you probably know, this year's display is a repeat of last year's A Day in the Life of an Elf. And while I wasn't thrilled to get a repeat of last year's show, I was pleasantly surprised to be reminded just how cute the show actually was, even if it is much shorter than past year's displays.)

Anyhow, I, Lola and Grandma and Grandpa went downtown and got in line about 9:30 a.m. or so. It was perfect timing. And Lola even managed to have some fun while waiting in the hallway.




We discovered this weekend that Lola is terrified of elevators. She manages OK in the one at Maplewood Mall - the kind made of glass - but she was not thrilled to be in an elevator, much less one packed with strangers. But she did OK.

Once we got into the display area (no wait!) it took Lola a few moments to relax. She was quite mesmerized by all of the sights.



She loved the display! It was fun to see her experience it for the first time (well, we went last year, too, but she didn't really have any idea what was going on, so this was her first "real" time, if that makes sense).






Afterward, Grandma and Grandpa wanted Lola to pick out a toy or gift to mark the trip. She had so many choices!



But she ultimately picked the one I knew she would: a new "fuzzes"!



***

And I just can't forget the annual Santa photo. We stopped by Santa on our way out of the display. We thought about ordering a photo, but decided that the cost probably just wasn't worth it.

But we got a quick snapshot:



(No, I didn't expect anything else... Lola has a thing against "real" men with beards, so I knew she wouldn't be a big fan. Not yet anyway. Maybe when she's older and can credit him with some gift-bringing. Although Ray is really not in favor of the whole "lying" thing when it comes to Santa, the Tooth Fairy, etc., so we will see...)

***

Mom and I then dropped Grandpa off at home before heading to our next destination: the Mall of America.

It was Lola's first trip to The Mall, which is amazing considering.



She did pretty darn well in her stroller all day. She got a little fussy in the afternoon because she wanted to run around, but a little applesauce and a few French fries later, she was good to go.

We stopped by, of course, at the American Girl store, which I had not seen before. I was a little bummed to learn that they retired "my" doll, Samantha. So they had no displays of her. (It also made me think I should probably be taking a little better care of Samantha if she's now out of circulation. I let Lola play with her all of the time, because she's fascinated that with her eyes that open and close.)






***

Saturday ended with a family get-together that was partly for my birthday and partly for my brother's birthday.

It was chaos! :)



OK, not really, but boy, did those kids have a great time! It's so fun to watch the cousins get old and more comfortable around each other. It's just sweet.













And, of course, we saw the happiest baby in the entire world. Little Katelyn doesn't know how to do anything other than smile! She is so adorable.





It was such a nice day.

***

One more update is on its way soon, the one that documented Lola's and my day with her Grandma Wesley.

I told you it was eventful trip!!!
- Bethany :)

No comments: