Thursday, January 28, 2010

a 'bonus day' at home

On Saturday, we noticed Lola had herself a terrible diaper rash. The really terrible kind that has her digging her fingernails into her back skin and trying to pull it from her bones. It was nasty.

I don't know if I've written much about it, but this poor girl has always battled diaper rashes. Bad ones. The first 7-8 months of her life were a blur a Desitin, Butt Paste and tears (from all three of us ... well, maybe not Ray). Then, while venting to a co-worker, she mentioned that her little boy never responded well to anything but A + D.

Really?

That night, we slathered on some A + D on and, boom, by morning, she was all clear. It was amazing.

Anyhow, back to the present, Lola got a bad diaper rash Saturday. Which I found odd since, you know, we do try to change her diaper on a fairly regular basis - and she hasn't had a diaper rash in a very long time. Anyhow, I put A + D on and waited.

It got worse.

This is unusual.

Um, OK ... so more diapers throughout the weekend, more A & D.

Slight improvements, but she was still itchy and visibly uncomfortable.

Come Tuesday night, she threw up a little bit at the dinner table. We figured she ate too much applesauce. No big thing. Washed her up and put her to bed.

Yesterday (Wednesday) morning, way too early, Ray and I woke up to the sounds of Lola hacking her lungs out over the monitor. (Well, actually, I woke up to that. Ray woke up to me jabbing him in the ribs with my elbow, "Ray, is Lola sick?" As if from his deep slumber he could read Lola's mind.) I checked on her and, sure enough, a low-grade fever, pink cheeks and plugged-up nose.

So I stayed home from work.

Just about an hour after we had some breakfast, Lola was throwing a temper tantrum because she wanted to be held and I wanted (not really) to do dishes. She threw her head back and screeched. (The Tyrannosaurus Rex howl comes to mind.)

Anyhow, I got an inside look into Lola's mouth and noticed two little white nubs on the top in the back of her gums on either side.

Sure enough, Lola got molars. Who knew?

Everything suddenly made sense: the diaper rash, congestion, fever.

(Insert light bulb here.)

So it became a snuggle day. A day of rocking and cuddles.

I can't complain.

***

OK, and for those of you wondering how Ray is dealing with Sunday's game...



We've broken out the Twins gear.

- Bethany :)

No comments: