Tuesday, February 9, 2010

'Rent' weekend




It was a super fun trip.

We certainly made memories, but I don't want to rehash the whole thing. If you're super bored and do want to read about the whole experience, including the return trip from hell, you can read about it on a different blog at www.areavoices.com/trailmix. (Trail Mix is a blog written by both Laurie and myself. Laurie wrote this particular blog entry, but captured the trip much better than I think I would.)

***

My experience started Saturday morning as I made myself say goodbye to this little one:





I didn't cry; but I got pretty misty. Lola waved bye-bye from the door, not upset at all. But you have to understand that I leave fairly often for council meetings and errands, etc. And Lola knows that I'm always back the next morning.

Well, Sunday morning came (according to Ray) and Lola stood straight up in her crib and asked, "Mama?" when he came in to get her. She knows that if one of us gets her in the morning, the other parent is in another room, so she ran from room to room asking, "Mama?" until she reached our bedroom and stood outside the closed door knocking on the door, "Mama! Mama!"

I cried when Ray told me over then phone on Sunday, which was a difficult day for several reasons.

When we finally reached Bemidji, Ray called to find out where I was. I didn't hear anything in the background at first, but then Ray told Lola, "Mama's on the phone," and she began screaming a few seconds later. Ray explained to me (later) that she heard "mama" and ran to the front door and had a meltdown when she realized that that didn't mean I was home.

Needless to say, I had plenty of hugs and kisses when I did get home.

Anyhow, from our trip:


This is us while in our seats at The Lab Theater, which was a fabulous venue for "Rent." I can't think of a venue more suited for the production. It was perfect. We got really good seats (we bought tickets, but it wasn't assigned seating, so it was first-come, first-seated).

I won't write a full review or anything, but I will say this: The cast was amazing. I think the person who stole the whole show was Jamecia Bennett, who played a character named Joanne. This is ironic because I don't particularly like the Joanne character, but she was, by far, my favorite from the performance.


Laurie and I waiting for "Rent" to start.


Anne and Laurie having a beer at Acme. OK, we all had this beer. But I was the only one who liked it.


Ben and Laurie at Acme. Ben is Laurie's friend. He was gracious enough to let us crash at his place in Uptown for the night and took us around town.

***

Now I'm back home, which I am thrilled about. I have a busy week at work, which I am also pretty excited about (seriously).

Ray and I are beginning to prepare for what we think is going to be a very busy February, but more on that later.

Have a nice week,
- Bethany :)

1 comment:

Laurie said...

You hid your Sunday tears well!