Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Unexpected side effects

In the last week, Ray and I have watched a grand total of maybe three hours of television -- and that's including the 2 hours, 40 minutes for "Avatar" Sunday night.

For us, this is pretty unheard of. I'm a TV junkie and I make Ray endure most TV shows with me.

But, now, in this house, there isn't time for television! We still have on tape unwatched episodes of "The Pacific," "House," "24" and "Parenthood." (Not to mention that we missed "Lost" last week and we need to find an hour to watch it online one of these nights.) Usually, we might get a little backed up during the week, but we always catch up on the weekends.

Last night, after both of us worked about 10-hour days, I trudged home about 9 p.m. expecting to sit and veg out in front of the television for a while.

But Ray had other plans: "Let's get started."

Um, on what?

"The garage."

Yawn. I couldn't care less about the garage at this point. So I said (in hopes Ray would give up and let us go inside and sit on the couch) that it seemed pointless to organize the garage when we haven't even organized the storage area downstairs.

So, in a matter of minutes, we were downstairs organizing baby toys and infant-sized clothing, going through long-forgotten camping supplies, and moving and stacking boxes.

An hour or so later, when we were apparently done, I thought we would finally relax.

Nope.

Instead, we went into the guest room/suite area and organized books - and then decided that 10 p.m. was the ideal time to bring down the old TV and DVD system for our guests. We got everything set up (including, of course, my Super Nintendo) - and it all looks great - but I'm wiped again today.

(Quick interjection: Home ownership, apparently, is great for my waistline! In the past week, I've dropped about four pounds. Not just because of all of the hard labor, but I've been working too much to even consider snacking. It's another interesting, unexpected side effect.)

Long story short, I did watch TV last night: I watched a grand total of seven minutes of a "Friends" repeat while Ray checked on our finances. At 11:30 p.m., we finally turned in.

So what's in store tonight? My guess is the garage. I also need to work on the guest bathroom and organizing the medicine "cabinet" (which is still in boxes) and taking care of the game closet. More so, I need to do laundry. Lots of laundry.

- Bethany :)

P.S. Before anyone begins thinking that my husband is a slave-driver, I should point out that there was one night last week he wanted to take off and I made him work, too. And, on Friday, he came home from work for a one-hour lunch break and I put him to work then, too. We're just not always in sync. Which is good! We need to be working right now, even though sometimes all I want to do is curl up and go to bed. The goal for this weekend is to get the garden planted and I won't be bale to really focus on the outside of the house until the inside is completely unpacked and organized. I think that by tomorrow night - Thursday at the latest - I should be all done inside. Of course, then we'll start painting and tackling larger projects, such as the kitchen and painting the outside of the house.

No comments: