Saturday, April 24, 2010

whew!

We are home.

We are exhausted.

We are happy.

***

I need to post some pictures, but I, first, will need to actually take some. I'm sure I'll snap some this weekend now that everything is, more or less, put away and unpacked.

Here's a quick rundown of the past four days:

Tuesday: We got the moving truck and loaded about 20 percent of our stuff, then went to closing, then returned home and loaded the truck some more. We had help from my friend Laurie and my dad, which was greatly appreciated! When it was all put inside, the furniture and boxes pretty much covered our entire living room. You could barely move. That night, Ray and I walked around the house in a daze, not really believing that it is ours.

Wednesday: Ray worked all day. I, however, took the rest of the week off. So I began to work on the kitchen. What a project! Not only was the kitchen filthy (trust me, you don't want the details), but it's about half the size of the kitchen in the apartment. So I had a lot of work to do. Ray came home and, together, we finished the kitchen Wednesday evening. By the time we went to bed, we had the kitchen and living room done.

Thursday: Ray went to work, but was sent home about 9 a.m. (He had to work today instead.) So ... we went out and bought a flat-screen TV. We've wanted one for so long! And we've come so close to getting one several times before, but we knew that it would be best to save it as a housewarming present to ourselves. Plus, the cable guys were coming at 10 a.m., so it just made sense! We got it home and talked with the cable guys. Got everything set up, but putting the TV where we want it is going to be a project! More on that later this week. Thursday afternoon, we went to the apartment and got completely out! Four days early! We scrubbed and painted for about four hours. And Ray was able to move all the remaining huge stuff on his own (washer/dryer, gecko tank, fish tank, etc.). I was thrilled! We saved about $100 by getting out early, so that will be wonderful. Also, that night, back at home, I got the upstairs bathroom done.

Friday: I made the mistake of deciding to let Lola stay home from day care. I thought, after three days of hard work, that it would be nice to just have a play day with her. Well, I couldn't stop working. I tried, and we took lots of play breaks, but I was too focused on the house. Finally, in the afternoon, I decided it was time to leave. Packed her up and she and I spent the afternoon garage sailing together. It was fun. Ray had to work late ('til about midnight) so by the time he got home, the house was officially unpacked. The downstairs (storage, work shop, guest suite, bathroom, laundry room) still need some work, but our main living areas are done.

***
Overall thoughts:

- I am tired. Due to not going to bed every night before 1 a.m. and just constantly working, I am sore and very fatigued. Last night, I laid down on the bed for a few moments, trying to work up the energy to tackle our closets and fell asleep for 20 minutes (thankfully, someone texted me and woke me up).

- Lola is doing great! Sure, she's waking up a couple of times during the night, but she took to her new home wonderfully! As soon as she saw her toys and her things, she knew what was happening. I'm still trying to teach her that it is not cool to drag things across the hardwood floors (i.e. the magneted side of magnets). She likes the noise. I'm afraid of the scratches.

- We've met our closest neighbors and we've talked several times now. They are super friendly and we like them.

- I am still getting used to the noise of city living. I'm just not used to hearing traffic and car doors!

***

Anyhow, I could go on and on, but I'm going to cut myself off. I'm sure I'll have more to say Monday (and, hopefully, some pictures!).
- Bethany :)

No comments: