Wednesday, May 19, 2010

fears

I'm getting weak. And not physically (well, actually I'm weak physically, too). Anyhow, during our nightly struggles to get Lola to eat anything other than French toast, waffles and string cheese, I keep eyeing the jar of peanut butter in the cupboard.

She loves toast - and I really think she would like peanut butter. So it is a tempting idea.

But I haven't done it yet. I'm terrified.

Several years ago, I went into anaphylactic shock. It started about 9 p.m. when I called my mom to say I was itchy all over and by the end of the 2-minute phone call my tongue was beginning to swell. I called the ER nurse, who told me to come in. Ray and I got in his truck and drove the five minutes to the hospital. By the time we got there, I was pale and weak. The ER nurse took one look at me , skipped registration and got me on a gurney just in time for me to see the doctor very quickly approaching. That was the last thing I remember; I passed out. I came to a few minutes later, when Ray lightly touched my bare foot.

I figure it was about 15 minutes from itchiness to unconsciousness.

So I'm scared for Lola. I mean, I'm fairly certain she will be just fine. But ... there is always that but...

Lola doesn't go to the doctor until her 2-year appointment. So I'm hopeful I can hold out until then. But, still, the idea of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches is so tempting!

- Bethany :)

No comments: