Thursday, July 15, 2010

That was AWFUL!

I don't cry much. I used to cry a lot. But 3-4 years ago, I kind of realized that the energy I spent crying my eyes out could actually be better used trying to solve the problem at hand.

But I cried today.

I tried willing myself not to cry (probably because I was wearing makeup for the first time in 10-11 months and I didn't want my mascara to run), but I couldn't help it.

I couldn't help her.

Lola has been a screamer since the day she was born. We heard from more than one person that day, "Boy, she's got a very nice set of lungs" and "Hmm, you guys might want to invest in earplugs." Even our doctor told us that one. Twice.

So it wasn't surprising at all that she cried at the doctor's office today.

Our visits always go the same way:

Meet Nurse Happy (we love her), who kindly shows us to the scale, where we are supposed to let Lola just sit. Nothing painful. Just sit. But Lola has never tolerated this well.

This is when the screaming begins.

It gets a little louder when she has to lie on her back to get a measurement.

It gets really loud once Nurse Happy gets us into the little room and tries to measure Lola's head. (We even tried measuring Baby Dora's head first, to show her, but Lola still wanted nothing to do with it.)

By the time Nurse Happy leaves, Lola is usually bright red and shrieking so loud that it honestly hurts my ears.

But today, I got her calmed down for a few seconds. She drew on the chalkboard, pointed out the babies (pictures) who were either wearing hats or sleeping.

Then Doctor walked in. He's such a nice guy - but Lola is terrified of him.

First comes the stethoscope on her back, then the ear checker-out things. Then she has to lay down (which means I can't hold her) as he checks her tummy.

She is screaming so loudly at this point that Doctor tells me he couldn't very greatly hear her heart. "But I'm sure it's OK."

Since I could feel her heart thumping against my chest, I agreed with him.

He leaves.

And that's when things started to change a bit.

Lola, who was relatively quiet at this point because I was tickling her back, looked at me sadly, "No ouches Mommy."

Huh?

I hadn't brought up shots in any way.

And she hasn't had any since her 15-month appointment.

She couldn't possibly know what was coming...

Right?

Whatever the expression on my face was, it must have given me away, because she started shrieking to "open door" and "go bye-bye."

We waited, with me holding a screaming, bawling toddler, for about 5-7 minutes until the nurses came in.

And then Lola took it to a whole new level. "Mama, no!" And my so-strong child (who has a hand grip as determined as my own) began clutching to anything she could gather her fist into - my shirt, my hair, my skin, whatever - and the nurses had to, literally, peel her off of me.

And I had to hold her down.

They stuck her three times.

It was over in a matter of seconds.

Afterward, Lola even refused candy - candy! She just picked up Baby Dora and looked toward the door, "Bye-bye? Please?"

And I nodded.

And we left.

Which went well - until the receptionist ladies tried to say, "bye-bye" on our way out and Lola practically leaped into my hip, burying her face into my upper thigh.

Of course, 90 seconds later, she was smiling and playing peek-a-boo in the backseat.

How quickly they forget.

Too bad I can't.

***

Anyhow, here are her stats:

Height: 34 1/2 inches (70th percentile)
Weight: 26 pounds, 13 ounces (51st percentile)
Head: 18 1/2 inches (37 percentile)

For comparison's sake, the following are the numbers from her 15-month checkup:

Height: 31 1/4 inches (75th percentile)
Weight: 25 pounds, 9 ounces (80th percentile)
Head: 18 1/4 inches (70th percentile)

Thoughts: At her 15-month checkup Doctor kindly told us to make sure we weren't overfeeding her - not that he really believed that - but he would like to see the weight percentage closer, or under, that of the height percentage.

We certainly accomplished that!

Lola's a Skinny Minnie all of a sudden! All that running around at the playground every night really helps!

We also got the go-ahead to try peanut butter. That should be interesting!

All in all, it was just an exhausting morning.

- Bethany :)

2 comments:

mk said...

Poor little girl...she has a good memory that's for sure! Her stats are amazing...miss her so much.

Laurie said...

Poor Lola.

Poor Bethany!

But at least you know you have a kid with a really good memory.