Thursday, October 21, 2010

Do they play 'Taps' for vehicles?

This week, we said goodbye to our faithful Focus.

She was a temperamental little thing, but she lasted seven years and 189,987 miles.

She moved me from Marshall to the Twin Cities. She moved Ray and I from our parents' homes to our first apartment home to our first Bemidji residence. And then she moved us to our first house.

She took us on countless backpacking, camping and canoe trips.

She took us on our honeymoons.

She brought Lola home from the hospital.

She hit an unknown number of curbs and squirrels.

She had at least 312 flats.

But, sadly, she died Sunday.

We were coming back home to Bemidji. it was late, maybe 11 p.m. She showed no signs of distress. Ray pulled into our driveway and got her nose into the garage stall.

And she died.

Her engine would have needed a complete rebuild. Which would have cost us three times what she was probably worth.

So we said goodbye.

***

I should have a picture. But it's funny how seldom you take pictures of your vehicles. I will add one later.

***

It just so happens we have a spare vehicle (long story).

So I get to go from my too-cramped Focus to a roomy Jeep.

All in all it works out.

But I still can't help but think about how she (the Focus) could have died at any point during that drive Sunday. I mean, she could have stranded us in Leader at 10 p.m. at night.

But she got us home.

- Bethany :)

No comments: