Thursday, March 24, 2011

chatterbox

Lola talks constantly. She wakes up talking and goes to bed talking. The time in between is spent chattering incessantly.

She loves to talk on the phone. When I call to check on them, I can always hear her in the background, "Lola talk to Mommy!" and she proceeds to tell me all about whatever they are doing.

In the car, she points out the trees, the mailboxes, the signs, the houses that should have horses but have yet to emerge for the season. She waves at buses and points out all the trucks that are similar to her daddy's vehicle.

And then sometimes she says things completely out of the blue.

We drive every morning to day care past the hospital and then the clinic and then get on the freeway. She has never mentioned anything about any of the medical buildings before.

Today, we pass by the clinic.

Lola points, "That's the doctor store."

Well, yes, it is.

"Lola sick when go there."

You just never know what she is going to remember. She has great memory.

Last night, we were taking a five-minute rest on the couch before I left for a meeting. We were watching "Horton Hears a Who" and the beginning has this purplish piece of spiky fuzz floating through the air.

"That's a coconut!" Lola exclaimed.

Um, no, well, not really, although I guess it does kind of look like one.

We just smiled. And turned her attention to the elephant.

She has a few catch phrases, too. Things that Ray and I find ourselves repeating at night, once she is is bed and the house gets quiet.

Some of her favorites:

"That's funny!" She thinks everything is funny, from strange sounds to odd sights to messes.

"Oh my!" She sounds like an 80-year-old woman when she says this. Usually when walking into a bedroom and finding a big mess or when she sees her father's artwork in the nursery.

"Oh my goodness!" This is a really surprised "oh my," usually said when she is happily surprised. Like with new princess wear or if I let her play makeup. Or when she opens my shoe closet and I let her play dress-up.

"Stop it!" said with a little wag or point of her index finger. Usually said to her daddy when he is tickling her or to me, when I tell her to do something she does not want to do, like make her bed or clean her room.

"Shh! S'enuff!" said when you try to start singing a song that she does not want to hear.

"No talking!" she gets mad at Ray and me when we try to have a conversation that she is not the focus of. Usually this happens after we are apart throughout the day and trying to catch up on activities and plans for the upcoming day. She also says this when we have visitors, like when my dad was visiting, and the adults would try to talk to one another, and thus, were not focusing 100 percent of their attention on the 2.5-year-old.

"You mean!" said with a little bottom lip stick-out, usually when we tell her she can't do something she wants to do, like pick at her nose or go play in the street.

"I miss you Mommy," always said with a big running hug after I get to daycare or come home.

And the favorite...

"I love you, Mommy (or Daddy)."

***

We took Lola to the park this past weekend. It was still snow-covered but it was enjoyable.



Our little kid is growing up. She decided, on her own, to go down the super big, steep slide. She only did that once last summer and never went back. it goes really fast.

It was hilarious.

video

video

video

Happy spring!
- Bethany :)

No comments: