Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Different

Ray felt Baby move this morning for the first time.

Sadly, he was not the first to feel exterior movements. Lucy, the cat, likes to lay on my chest and stomach. And even though I try to force her down to my lap, she sneaks up on me from time to time. The other night Baby got mad and gave Lucy a swift kick. The cat got freaked out and ran away. It was pretty funny.

That kind of force is rare for Baby.

She is very different from Lola.

Baby is much, much lower. She rarely moves from her spot in my lower left, unless I am doing yoga, when she moves to the right (I haven’t figured out why that is yet). She often has me wondering why I even have a belly bump. She isn’t anywhere near high enough by my belly button. She really feels like she could be underneath my panty line all of the time (and I am not exaggerating).

She is quiet. She doesn’t not get excited. I felt Lola at 19 weeks, I believe. I didn’t really truly know I was feeling Baby until well after week 21.

Lola kicked. With force. Constantly. Seriously, she wore me out by 10 a.m. most days.

Baby, though, just quietly squirms, kind of half-heartedly.

I can’t remember when Ray was first able to feel Lola kick – I can’t find it in the blog – but I know it was earlier than this. Lola’s elbows and kicks were visible from the outside by mid-March, I believe.

Lola used to get mad when I would lay in certain positions or move in certain ways.

Baby doesn’t really seem to get bothered by much of anything, except possibly the yoga.

Like Lola, though (and, arguably most inside babies), Baby is not very active during the day. She gets active about 8:30 p.m. at night, when I stop running around and moving so much. She plays during the nighttime and into the morning, settling in for quiet time right about 10 a.m. After my noontime walk, once I sit back down for lunch and work, Baby does about 20 minutes work of her own exercise.

But I don’t feel her too much during the day.

***

So how am I doing?

Fine. I’m doing fine. I don’t feel achy too much, except at night, after a long day’s worth of work and activity. But a yoga session always makes me feel better. Ray and I have taken back to playing the Wii Sports games more. That helps keep me loose. If I sit too long, doing any one activity, I get a little stiff and achy.

I still haven’t gained a lot of weight, maybe 9 pounds overall? Hard to believe, since, you know, next-to-nothing fits anymore. But I can still sneak in a few pre-pregnancy shirts.

More and more people have been telling me lately that I do not even really look that pregnant. Or, as my daycare provider said, “You don’t look six months along. You’re not that big.”

Really, I think it all depends on what I am wearing that day. I mean, you can hide quite a belly under oversized winter sweaters. It’s harder to conceal anything in thinner T-shirts and tank tops. (Speaking of which, Mr. Weather Guy, can we please break those out sometime soon?!)

So we truck along. I am either 25 weeks, 2 days today or 24 weeks, 3 days. Depending on what date you go by. Either way, I have about 3.5 months left to go. I’m not getting overly impatient or anxious – I mean, we have a LOT of work left to do – but I think I am getting more and more excited.

- Bethany :)

No comments: