Thursday, June 16, 2011

6...

I didn’t sleep much last night because of a little boy.

Ray’s parents are in town this week – thankfully! – to take care of Lola since we don’t have daycare. Jean and I ran some errands last night, coming home about 8 p.m. or so. We were one house over from my house when we saw him. Just a little boy. He was smaller than Lola. He was on the shoulder, looking down at the street and kind of shuffling as he walked along the roadway. Then he just stopped walking and started crying.

He was all alone.

I grabbed my cell and got out of the car; Jean went home to check in and let the guys know what was happening.

The boy saw me come toward him, and for just a second, he was a little scared. But then we just sat on the curb together. He told me his name, I told him my name. I said I had a little girl about his age. I asked him if he knew where his mom was. No... I asked him if he knew where his home was. No... So I called the police and then the boy and I chatted some more, talking about superheroes and just waiting together. The police were very quick, it didn’t take more than a few minutes before two squad cars showed up.

The boy got excited when he saw the cars coming, “Cops! Cops!”

Apparently this was not the first time he has dealt with the police before.

“Cops have stickers,” he told me happily, immediately asking the first responding police officer for a sticker.

It was sad. So sad.

Ray showed up about then to make sure everything – me, mostly – was OK. He brought a stuffed animal along to give to the little boy, who was appreciative. The police basically took the boy and did their thing as they began trying to find a parent or adult. My/our role lasted probably a total of 7-10 minutes.

But the image of the boy wandering along the street, crying, stuck with me all night. It just freaked me out.

Now, today, I think all turned out relatively fine in the end.

Or at least I hope it did...

I guess we never know for sure...

How sad. So very sad.

***

I have six days left until my induction.

Honestly, I haven’t really thought too much about that today.

- Bethany :)

No comments: