Wednesday, July 20, 2011

getting older...

At Lola's party on Saturday, her Grandpa Al gave her a big girl bike.

She has long been a great trike rider and pedaler. Still, the upgrade to a "real" bike was a change and the tippiness with the training wheels was a bit intimidating for her at first. Not to mention that back-pedaling, on a trike, does not initiate the brakes. This change, particularly, was slowing her down. A lot.

She spent Saturday getting accustomed to the new ride. She wanted one (or two) adults to basically push her along.



We had not had a chance to get back on the bike since Saturday. But, this morning, Amelia took a later-than-usual morning nap. Since it is beyond hot here, I figured that if we were going to go outside and play, we had to do it this morning because this afternoon will probably be miserable.

So, I suggested we go outside and ride her big girl bike.

We got outside, I got her on the bike and went to give her a push and she protested, "I don't want you to hold me, Mommy! Let me go."

So I did.

And she took off.



Sure, she still struggles from time to time with pedaling backwards and her feet occasionally fall from the pedals.

But she can do it ... all by herself.

She was so proud of herself, as she should be.

I was a bit in awe, a bit in shock. The thought that her trike days are behind us is a bit jolting. But, after watching her get more and more adept at powering and maneuvering the new bike, I had a belated awakening. And I went and took out the bike helmet. She now knows that the helmet is required for cycling.



This summer has been grand. Have I said that yet?!
- Bethany :)

No comments: