Friday, September 2, 2011

'God doesn't want our kids'

OK, that was said in (mostly) jest yesterday.

But it does feel like we are cursed when it comes to our girls' baptisms. Lola developed an infection and was admitted to the ER the day before her baptism, and this week, leading up to Millie's Sunday baptism, has been difficult to say the least. Ray has been laid up with a back injury all of this week and is unable to do anything other than lie flat on the floor. We have no idea how he is going to get through the baptismal service: Standing is excruciating; sitting is worse.

This week has been stressful, to say the least. I am not exactly the nurturing/caregiver type. I am trying, but not doing very well taking care of the 3-year-old and a 2-month-old, basically on my own, and also helping Ray get through each day. I sent both kids to daycare for two days this week so I could get the house clean and get myself healthy.

Finally, today, the entire house was clean. The outside was presentable. All I had to do was bring in a box of my desk stuff from work (I had to clean out my desk - long story, but I still have a job). Anyhow, I picked up the box, got two feet inside the kitchen and CRASH. The bottom collapsed. Papers, files and push pins flew everywhere and, more importantly, glass shattered all over the place.

I have - or had - a little Charlie Brown figurine of him as a newsman. It was cute.

It is not so cute anymore. It broke. Ray thinks he can maybe glue it back together, but we will see.

About ten minutes after that, I left. I just had to get out of the house. I was gone for maybe two hours. The kids were napping. What could go wrong?

I came home frazzled about yet another detail for the party that was just not working out. I was rehashing the situation with Ray when I finally got around to asking if Millie had woken up.

Yep, she had woken up, he fed her and played with her for about an hour. He tickled her chin and kissed her ears. And then explained that she laid on her back on his chest, putting her bare feet against his chin. Since he has not shaved in like five days, he has some very noticeable whiskers.

"They must tickle her feet because she was just giggling away," he reported.

Me, mouth agape, "You mean smiling, right?"

"Uh, no, she was laughing."

"Cooing?"

"No, giggling, laughing."

Me, meakly, "But she doesn't laugh yet..."

So, yeah, I missed her first laugh as I was out running errands.

I missed Lola's first laugh while I was right outside laying down a quilt for picture time.

This week sucks.

Fortunately, Sunday is the beginning of a new week, right? So the actual baptism day is going to be a new beginning I hope.

- Bethany :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was a wonderful day! And you handled everything outstanding!