Thursday, January 5, 2012

my Millie


Millie turned six months old just before Christmas, on the 22nd of December. (The timing of that milestone is my excuse for not writing about it sooner by the way.)

In many ways, it's hard to believe she already is half a year old; in just as many others, I still think of her as my newborn.

Or I did before this week.

Before this week, my littlest daughter had no interest in doing much of anything. She was - and still is - the happiest, most joyful baby I myself have ever known, but she didn't take too much interest in learning how to move or roll around or anything. She would grab toys if they were placed directly in front of her, but she didn't much care for rolling or sitting.

I admit that I was getting wee bit cautious, anxious on this front. Lola, my oh-so-spirited, energetic child, was rolling over at three weeks and trying to move around by three months of age.

My Millie is so much more laid back. She'll happily entertain herself for more than a few minutes at a time and grins appreciatively whenever she does get some one-on-one attention. With my still-spirited 3-year-old, it is hard to focus too much on Amelia for too long, but she seems to be, at least right now, comfortable with that.

Still, I felt a little nervous when I told the doctor on Dec. 27 that my 6-month-old still wasn't rolling over. Sure, she gets about three-quarters of the way over, from her back to the front, but she was showing no interest at all about going to her tummy.

Uh, yeah, Millie also hates being on her stomach. We try to force her to do tummy time regularly, but the very happy baby immediately becomes a very mad baby.

He told me not to worry about it, that she would get there soon enough.

Well, fast-forward one week.

Our New Year's resolution in our house was to get Millie sleeping in her crib again. Yep, after pledging for months to never ever ever let the baby sleep in her bouncy chair as Lola did for eight months, about two months ago, we gave in. Amelia had a cold and we didn't want her to choke and we strapped her in her vibrating chair.

And she slept... So soundly... So long...

The next night, we were tired, wanted a full night's sleep...

You see how this goes.

So now, two months later, we were ready. I mean, she sleeps in the crib at daycare. Yeah, she hollers at us when we do try to put her in her crib, but it is time.

Monday night, she slept in her crib. Without a peep (until 5 a.m.). She seemed happy to be wiggling around and free a bit.

Tuesday evening, I was working. I got a text at 7 p.m.: "Millie rolled over."

(Ok, boo for missing it, but yay for it happening.)

Wednesday morning, she rolled over again. And again Wednesday evening.

So this week has been one of change for us, for Amelia. She is still adjusting to her crib (the cry-less Monday night bedtime was a fluke, we are learning), but it will be good for all of us.

And, I believe, it helped her to learn to roll over, which is  teaching her to enjoy tummy time a little bit more.


Short takes:
- Millie also is sitting on her own, for about 45 seconds at a time. Even longer on occasion.
- Foods: Ask me in one week. We still don't have a kitchen (Ray is tiling). But she seems more open to trying solids. We will see.
- Sisters. (I have a picture but Blogger is acting up on me today.) Millie and Lola are actually halfway playing with each other. Lola is able to hand her toys and watch Millie inspect (and chew on) them. it is getting to the point where the first thing Lola wants to do after day is "play with 'Milia."
- Eyes. Ray things they are turning brown. I think he's colorblind. They are more gray, like mine, and less bright blue, like Lola's. But they're still obviously blue-ish.


Such a sweet kid.
- Bethany :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah Millie! So precious..