Monday, February 27, 2012

joys and disappointments


Since Ray had the whole weekend off, we were anticipating a fun weekend and decided that we would do something just a little out of the ordinary.

We both went and picked the girls up from daycare Friday and I let Lola in on our plans, "We're going to go the swimming pool tomorrow," I told her, happy that there was some open swim time at the high school.

She was so exicted. "I can go down the froggy slide lots and lots!" she shrieked, picturing the kiddie pool inside one of the city's hotels.

Oh...

No...

But just as I was about to correct her, Ray jumped in, "Sure, why not."

And within minutes, our fun cheap-ish weekend became a little more involved, a lot more exciting. Millie's first hotel stay.

We wouldn't leave until Saturday afternoon so that morning Lola knew, after naptime, we would go to the pool (she couldn't have cared less about the hotel part).

As I went in to wake her, I found she was already up ... and quite ready to go.


So off we went. It would be Millie's first time in the water so we needed to document that of course. And both girls were just adorable in their suits.


Lola had a great time in the water, although it did take her about an hour to get used to her surroundings. But once she saw other kids playing, nothing could hold her back.

The live version:

video

Millie, however, was not as enthused.

I first tried to just get her to relax a bit on her own in a jumpy thing.


She didn't like that.

So Ray took her in the water...


She never cried, but always had a not-happy look on her face. I, myself, got a few half-smiles from her while doing spins. But no full smiles and no laughs.

Like always, Millie just liked it best was Lola was nearby.

Good times.

Sigh.

But they definitely didn't last.

As soon as I got out of the water, my back locked up on me. I've had a nagging, more irritating kind of back pain for about a month now, after I lifted a heavy thing of cat litter onto a shopping cart. It was getting a lot better, but a long bus ride last week made it a bit worse. I thought swimming would be good for it. But something must have aggravated my back either in the water or while walking around.

I made it to the hotel room and that was about it. After that, I honesty could not sit, stand or walk. It was hell. We stayed the night and then our daycare lady (wonderful lady) took the girls for a couple of hours. Ray went, dropped them off and came back for me. I could not physically stand, so we ended up getting me into an office chair, wheeling me to the car, driving me to the ER and then got into a wheelchair.

There is something creepy about sitting in a wheelchair when you're "only" 32.

An hour or so later, I had gotten a shot, some pain drugs and directions to rest yet keep walking.

The shot made it so I was able to move around a bit more, which loosened things a bit, I think. By the evening, I was able to walk a little bit which was 300 percent better than where I was that morning.

Today, I am home (alone, girls are at daycare) and I'm focused on healing.

***

It is soul-crushing for me when I disappoint my girls. Lola didn't understand why we couldn't swim more (although Ray took her a few more times himself Saturday evening).

We have a big outing planned for this coming weekend. We bought tickets for a Disney on Ice show months ago. But it requires a drive to the Cities and me being mobile.

I don't want to push myself to the point of more injury ... but I also really, really don't want to let down Lola, who has had a huge Rapunzel sticker on her calendar marking this coming weekend.

Ugh.

Hoping for a quick recovery...
- Bethany

No comments: