Wednesday, June 13, 2012

almost 1...

We all went downtown last weekend for a number of community events. But the one I was really looking forward to was a decorate-your-own-cupcake event at the local gourmet cakery. Mainly because I thought it would be fun to watch Lola decorate her own cupcake, and, also, because the girls' birthday party is right around the corner and just maybe we would get some ideas.

We ended up decorating two cupcakes - one for Lola and one for Ray.


While there, saw a little flyer thing offering a potential deal: order a custom gourmet birthday cake and get a free photo session with a local photographer.

Cool. We haven't had any professional photos taken of the girls in quite a while.

And Ray noted that every year we've tried to do some kind of special cake, so he was a little eager to spend a little extra $ to get a special cake. So, we placed the order.

Then, a few days later, I called to make the photo session appointment.

The photographer asked the girls' ages, when we wanted to have the shoot, etc., and was throwing out all kind of interesting ideas for the shoot itself. Everything sounded great. I was - and still am - super excited about it.

But then I got all tongue-tied when she mentioned how 1-year-olds can be fun (read: difficult) to shoot at times because they're always moving all over the place and hard to keep still.

I kind of tripped over the words, trying to say that, yeah, that won't be be a problem for us at this point. I remember saying that Millie has some developmental delays and then the rest is a blur of sort as I tried to explain her situation without sounding as if it is worse or overly dramatic than it really is.

It wasn't until after I hung up the phone that I began thinking about how she is going to be 1 year old in less than two weeks and she still doesn't crawl or walk or anything. And I don't say this in an "oh how sad" kind of tone. I mean, I'm not. The more we go to physical therapy, the better she is doing. She's a long ways off from those milestones, I'm quite sure, but I'm not sad about it these days like I used to be.

Yes, I'm still worried a little bit, and, sure, I've got an ever-expanding list of questions for her checkup with the pediatrician next Friday.

But I'm not sad about where she is at physically. She's not sad about it. She's as happy as can be, proud of herself every day when she tries something new and learns to move in a new way.

We're proud of her too.

But it was after I hung up the phone with the photographer that I really thought back to this time last year, when she was brand new and Ray and I were talking about next summer (read: this summer) and how it would be such a blur or activity with Lola running like crazy all over the place and how Millie would be crawling and cruising all over the backyard, pushing around the wheeled horsey, stroller and standing toys that Lola had loved.

We're, obviously, not there yet. But I realized for the first time in a couple of weeks now, that I'm not sad about it. Concerned, well, yeah, just a little, not a ton. Stressed? Oh, definitely. But not sad.

It just means that we have a few more months yet before utter chaos enters our world, with a soon-to-be-preschooler running this way and a toddler running that way.

Anyhow, I don't know if this post was all that coherent, but those are my random thoughts for the day.

***

Oh this is also worth mentioning: Ray and I marked a milestone of our own this past week.

We've lived in Bemidji now, officially, for five years. We have never taken a picture by Paul Bunyan and Babe. I don't know why, but it's just never been at the top of the to-do list I guess.

But while we were down at the waterfront last Saturday, I was watching Lola and Ray running between Babe's legs when another woman approached me and offered to make a deal: She would take our family photo and if we would take theirs.

So, on June 9, five years and four days after we moved here, Ray and I officially had our first Paul and Babe photo taken.


- Bethany :)

No comments: