Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Mama. Mama.


I also edited my Saturday post late that night. Almost.

It was the perfect end to the perfect day.

Right before bed, we change Millie’s diaper and give her one last bottle. This is usually Ray’s assignment. But since he and Jeremy were still out fishing, I was on diaper duty. So I went in and gently woke her up as I moved her to the changing table. She was super wet. And as she stretched and slowly opened her eyes, she saw me, smiled, clapped and said, “Mama. Mama.”

In our household, that doesn’t count as first word. No one was around to “prove” it and, you never know, it might have just been babbling with “M” sounds.

But, to me, at that moment, it was clear as day. 

She reached up and stroked my cheek with her hand, saying, again, “Mama. Mama.”

By the time I put her back to bed, Ray was home and I ran outside to meet him, telling him what she said. He was happy for me and said he believed me and all that.

But still … he hadn’t heard it.

Last night, I went to bed earlier than Ray. I also, then, woke up earlier than Ray today. Millie was up and ready to go at 6 a.m. so I went in to change her diaper and get her dressed. I set her on the changing table and she grinned, “Mama. Mama,” lifting her hand to touch my cheek.

Ray woke up about a half-hour later and, without my prompting, he told me that when he went in last night for the final diaper change with Millie, she eventually woke up, saying, “Mama. Mama," as she looked around the room, trying to find me.

So, yeah, even though, technically, we both have yet to be side by side to hear it simultaneously, it’s as official as it’s going to get at this point.

Millie has said her first word.

- Bethany :)

No comments: