Wednesday, August 15, 2012

a recap, a wee bit late


This is probably old news by now, but I thought I should document it nonetheless.

Our trip to the Cities went well, more or less. The girls and I had a great time with family, although five days away from Ray was a little hard on us (OK, probably just me – the girls had a great time seeing their grandparents).

Anyhow, Millie’s appointment. It went well. I think. The neurologist didn’t seem overly super duper worried about her. She noticed a few things, maybe four or five, that were concerning, but, overall, she said she thinks she is simply developmentally delayed. She did not seem to suspect any specific disorder or syndrome (or at least she didn’t say so) and did not see more common signs of a more serious problem (cross eyes, lopsided smile, etc.). She did suggest having a swallow study done for her eating issues but the therapist here is going to wait on that a bit; she thinks Millie’s feeding problems are more texture-related than mechanical.

So what’s next? Well, the neurologist ordered an MRI so she could look at Millie’s brain stem. So, next month, on 9/11 to be exact, Millie will go in and be sedated in advance of an MRI in St. Paul. The MRI is at 6 a.m. and then we have an appointment that afternoon with the neurologist, who will go over her results. If everything is clear, we probably will not be seeing the neurologist on a regular basis. If it’s not clear … well, we didn’t actually discuss that. The neurologist seemed to expect that the MRI will be clear. As do I.

How do I think the appointment went? Well, I was somewhat disappointed to not get any “answers,” but, honestly, I didn’t really expect them either. That said, I am glad that the MRI is being done so we can have more information.

I am not, however, looking forward to having my baby sedated. At all. I know it’s probably quite common and standard procedure – and I certainly understand that you can’t tell a 13-month-old to lie perfectly  still – but the idea freaks me out a bit. So, Ray will be coming with me for that one. It was super nice having Ray’s mom with me for Millie’s neurology appointment, but I know I’ll need Ray at my side for this one…

Back at home, things are good. We’re now in the middle of our first week of five-a-week therapy sessions and, thus far, things are going well. I’m actually kind of adapting to this as my new normal. Sometimes I bring Lola with me and we have one-on-one time while Millie is in therapy; other times, I have to go in with Millie or at least be available, so I get some mommy time to myself.

On another topic, yesterday was Primary Election Day. For work today, I was going from polling place to polling place, just taking in the nice weather and happy to be out of the office for an hour or so when I heard that someone at work had gone home ill. And I immediately recalled the last “big” election year two years ago when I missed primary election day because I was in the process of miscarrying. So long ago... The worst day, as Ray refers to it. 

Yet, here we are two years later with our Silly Millie and our perfect little family.

It all worked out then; this stuff with Millie will all work out in the end, too.
- Bethany :)

No comments: