Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Back to school?


Parenting is emotionally draining some days. Or weeks. Or months. Or maybe it just stays like this all the time. 

Since we’re not so worried about Millie these days, lately I’ve been worried about Lola. She starts preschool next week. Preschool! And I have this ever-nagging fear that her preschool teacher will call me two hours after I drop her off to tell me I have to come get her because she’s just not ready.

I know we can’t do anything about it. We talk about how much fun it will be, what it will be like, the friends she will meet, etc. But I just don’t know how she is going to respond. She can be so timid in new situations, so fearful…

But then she also has times when she just is completely open to new people and ideas. She met a friend at the park the other day, for the first time really. Not that she doesn’t have friends at day care, but this was a quick, spur-of-the-moment kind of friendship. A little girl was playing and asked Lola to play with her. Lola ran over to me, told me and said she didn’t want to go make friends. Then my cell phone and it was work and I got distracted for a few moments. When I looked back, Lola was running around and playing with this other girl. It was so very nice to see. In fact, we were going to head home in about 5-10 more minutes, but we stayed for another 20 or so just so she could play longer.

That’s a good sign, right?

Tonight is preschool orientation. While parents are meeting in one room, they take the enrolled children to another room to play games, do activities, etc. I kind of think of this as a mini test run, but at the same time, it’s not going to be the same situation. It will be right after day care so Lola will already have had a full day of stuff. I expect her to be a little unsure of the whole situation.

But I hope it goes well.

We will see…

In other family news, look what Millie has learned! (Please ignore her mother’s squeaky voice at the end…)


So proud!

The only problem with it is she is now waking up screaming at 2-3 a.m. because she got to sitting and doesn't know how to get back down. I remember Lola doing this when she learned to pull herself to standing, but not sitting.

I also tried to get some pictures of the two girls together outside.

This one is my favorite. I can't describe how much Millie loves her sister. No one can make Millie belly-laugh or giggle like Lola can. When Millie is having an "off" moment at daycare, Lola is just asked to go over and smile at her and all is OK. Not that she doesn't love Ray and me, but the love that this little girl has for her older sister is just awesome.




Life is good.
- Bethany :)


No comments: