Saturday, September 15, 2012

Is it next week yet?



Friday (yesterday) was a hectic day (which, really, was on par for the whole week). Ray was going to be home with Millie and Lola was going to be at preschool.  Ray had to play taxicab so he could meet to work (we just have the one family car), get Lola to preschool and then was planning to take Millie grocery shopping and to do some errands. This all went OK, more or less, except for the two-hour wait he had to get new tires for the car. In the afternoon, we had a meeting with the school district to start getting Millie some early-intervention services. Afterward, Ray had to again, shuffle me to and fro work while getting Lola home from preschool, etc. It was just a lot of running around.

By the time he got me at the end of the work day, we all needed to unwind. So we went straight from my work to Target to blow some money on wants (versus need). We decided we would just grab dinner while we were out. Ray didn’t expect to be gone so long so he didn’t think to bring along Millie’s diaper bag, which has a variety of munchies for her. So, while at Target, I bought some of Millie’s favorite snacks – those dissolvable yogurt melt things – so she, too, could have something to eat while at the restaurant.

So we go sit down to eat and Millie is happily munching away on her melts. Except about 6-7 pieces into them, I realize she’s struggling with them a bit more than usual (she still doesn’t eat “real” solid food but anything dissolvable should be just fine). So I look at the package and realize that I didn’t get yogurt melts (for crawlers) but I got fruit and veggie snacks (for toddlers and older). Not a huge difference, but for Millie it could be. So, I thought I’d try giving her a black bean from my taco salad; she loves baked beans, even whole, so I wasn’t too worried about it. Well, maybe I should have been. She spit out about 1/5 of it almost immediately. I figured she just didn’t like it and we let it go. About 15 minutes later, she spit out another little piece. But she seemed fine so we went on with life.

When we got home, about 6 p.m., we thought we would put Millie to bed. We gave her a bottle and she immediately threw it all up, rather aggressively. But then she went to sleep.

We got Lola to bed about two hours later, at which time Millie woke up screaming and coughing and gagging. Now, this kid does not scream. She just doesn’t. She whimpers like a sad little puppy when she wants something. So something was amiss. She was crying – or at least trying to, but was huffing and puffing between outbursts. I picked her up and she was trying so hard to either throw up or getting something out of her throat. We tried a bottle and she refused to take it. About 20 minutes later, she was still crying and trying to cough/hack/puke and was gagging when she was trying to breath. I told Ray something was really wrong so off he went to the ER.

Basically, per Ray, the dr. at first wanted to just send them home saying it was most likely a cold. But then, when Ray told him about how she had thrown up, the dr. got more concerned (I guess that is a sign of an obstruction in the airway) and found that the oxygen levels in her blood were low. So, they hung out at the hospital until she apparently got whatever it was down her throat (I’m guessing whatever was left of the black bean, stupid Mommy…). He wanted to keep her at the ER until he saw her drink something but she refused the Pedialyte/whatever they offered her (Millie still won’t really take any liquids other than milk) and he eventually let Ray leave but cautioned him to watch her take slow, deliberate drinks of milk and make sure she wasn’t still vomiting it all up.

So, he came home. We tried giving her a bottle but she didn’t want it – she just wanted to sing and play at that point. But, eventually, we got her to go to sleep.

At 4 a.m. when she woke up hungry and cranky. I stayed up with her for about two hours as she drank some milk and fought to get back to sleep. I finally got her back down about 6 a.m., an hour before I had to get ready for work (thankfully, tonight is Ray’s night and I get to sleep in a bit tomorrow).

When I left for work, she seemed just fine again. Thank God.

But I’m exhausted, as I’m sure Ray is also.

This has just been one of the most draining weeks…

Here’s to hoping the weekend improves.
- Bethany :)


No comments: