Monday, November 12, 2012

Failures and successes

Wow. It has been a very long, trying weekend.

Ray is amazing. I know I don't say that enough. But he really was fantastic yesterday.

I had a not-so-mini meltdown yesterday morning. I just wasn't handling it well, having to listen to Millie cry in hunger. She was so hungry...

I should back up.

We began thickening Millie's milk Saturday. I had the first go at it, as Saturday was Ray's day to sleep in. I made it too thick, pudding thick probably, and tried spoon-feeding her. She took about 2-3 spoonfuls and then was having no part of it.

Ray woke up, I went to work.

He emailed or texted to say a few hours later she was drinking some of it, but it was out of the bottle. Which, even though I know he made the nipple hole bigger, I didn't think that sounded right. It shouldn't be able to come out of the bottle.

Sure enough, it wasn't quite thick enough - close, but not quite.

So, Saturday evening and Sunday, we played around with the thickness until we figured out the right combinations, etc. I think we've nailed it. But that doesn't mean it is making feeds any easier.

Millie wants her bottle. And she just can't have it that way. We tried a few sippys with no luck and tried the cold-medicine-measuring-cup thing. We tried spoons.

Sunday morning, while listening to Millie wail because she was hungry, I all but gave up. I left the room, I just couldn't take it.

I came back a few minutes later and Ray was feeding her some pureeds. She seemed better, so we focused, again, on figuring out what to do about the milk.

Finally, we tried the syringe. Like giving an infant Tylenol, I fed my 16-month-old honey-thickened whole milk by syringe. It was a very slow process, but a successful one. Mostly.

She took about 3-4 ounces that way. She was pretty hungry. We alternated pureeds by spoon with milk by syringe. She wasn't happy - and was still letting us know so - but she at least ate something.

Sunday evening, she was a little more willing to do the same thing. Pureeds by spoon, milk by syringe. Maybe 3 ounces of milk.

I was worried last night she would wake up screaming at 2 a.m. but she slept through the night, until 6 a.m. when I had to wake her up this morning. Boo. Monday morning therapy starts at 7 a.m. but the hospital is less than a 1 mile from my house. Before, we would  wake up at 6:40, I'd give her a bottle while I brush teeth, dress and get ready. We were out the door by 6:50 a.m. and at the hospital with 5 minutes to spare.

Now, though, feeding takes about 45 minutes. So I was up, unhappily, at 5:30 a.m. this morning, to dress myself, get myself ready and then wake up Millie at 6 a.m. for feeding. It's not the nicest schedule, especially since Sunday night is the best night of TV for us. So we always stay up too late...

But, I must say, as Millie and I interacted and played during feeding, it was nice to have some one-on-one time with her on a Monday morning, heading into what is sure to be a fairly long work week.

This morning, too, she actually seemed to want the milk. Still by syringe, and still alternating with pureeds, but she seemed happy about it. I didn't feel like I was force-feeding her.

I consider that a win.

I'm sitting here now in the waiting room, while Millie is in therapy. Her physical therapist this morning was listening to me recap the (long) weekend and our early morning and told me she thinks Millie is ready to go down from two physical therapy sessions a week to one.

Amazing. So proud of her. This is a huge win.

Millie is doing so incredibly well movement-wise.  She has come a very long way in just a few months.

***

In awesome Lola news, we no longer need pullups! She has been daytime potty-trained for a very long time, but Lola has finally moved out of them for nighttime too!

What a big girl!

She's been begging me for weeks to let her sleep with panties. But I knew she was still going 2-for-3 or so at nighttime in pullups, so I made her a deal a few weeks ago: Stay dry in your pullup five nights in a row and we'll let you try panties at bedtime.

So she did, stayed dry five nights in a row immediately. Seriously, that kid is so stubborn!

Of course, her first panties-night was on election night. She had an accident. Ray talked to her that morning and said it was no big deal, that she should try just one more night. I talked to her, too, later, and told her we were so proud of her for trying and she could try again if she wanted to.

She told us she wanted to sleep in panties. She said she wanted to try again.

The next morning, she was dry. And she has stayed dry ever since. Five nights running...

So very, very proud of her. And I love to see just how proud she is of herself.

So, yeah, this weekend, this week, has been a combination of failures and successes.

But it seems - knock on wood - that that successes are out-numbering the failures.

We'll take it.
- Bethany :)

1 comment:

David and Mary Kay said...

Maybe the Election Night accident was just fear of Romney getting elected!!!