Tuesday, January 22, 2013

sad...


This is one of my most treasured photographs.

Taken at my high school graduation party, it shows my three grandmothers all together.

As of today, all three have now passed on.

My Grandma Jacquie (far right) passed away this afternoon. She went peacefully, with her family beside her.

And even while not unexpected, the loss is hard.

Being away from "home" makes it harder.

I remember so many things, her laugh, her smile, her hugs.

She taught me how to play Rummy 500, all of us sitting around the kitchen table, trading cards and earning points.

My earliest memory, that I can recall, is from her kitchen. I was maybe five? My mom on one side, Grandma on the other. For whatever reason, I was trying to open a box of cereal on my own. I failed. Miserably. I think it was maybe that white puffy ball kind (Kix?) or perhaps Cheerios. Anyhow, it ended up spraying all over the kitchen. My mother was motrified. I teared up, afraid I was going to get in big trouble.

But Grandma laughed.

That's what grandmas do.

That's what I remember anyway.

The laughs.

The smiles.

The hugs.

Rest in peace, Grandma. Love you.
- Bethany :)


1 comment:

David and Mary Kay said...

Love you honey, and will miss those moments, thanks for the memory!