Tuesday, March 5, 2013

c'mon spring...

I've been feeling a bit down lately.

I'm really not sure why. Things are going well for us these days. Lola's happy, Millie's doing well, Ray's doing just fine, I joined a gym, life is good.

It just seems like every time I turn around, I'm running into some kid who's running all over the place at 10 months old or talking in complete sentences (OK, not really, but you get the idea).

I try not to obsess over it: Millie will get there when she's ready, I know that. But such run-ins seem to be a daily occurrence lately. And they wear me out sometimes.

I think I'm just tired of winter.  :)

Anyhow, things are, really, going quite well otherwise.

Millie had another hearing test yesterday (Monday). She tested within normal ranges so that's great. We'll probably retest her in six months or so, unless we have new concerns.

Physically, she's making progress, though she continues to fight us every step of the way.

She stood on her own for nearly two whole minutes Sunday before she realized she wasn't holding onto anything. And as soon as she did, she went straight down to the floor. Into her comfort zone.

We've been working with her on practicing her finger-walking. She just hates doing it. She whimpers and cries, but she is doing pretty great at it, walking about 4-5 feet at a time as we encourage her forward. She just doesn't enjoy it (yet).

Right now, I'm focused on getting us all ready for our next Cities trip (in two weeks). Millie will be admitted to the hospital for about two and a half days as she undergoes a barrage of tests.

It will be hard, but necessary, as we gauge her progress.

Honestly, I expect the visit to be full of good news, especially from her MRI (though, admittedly, I've thought this before).

And, hopefully, her swallow study, too, will reveal much improvement.

As for the EEG, I have no idea what to expect. It sounds strange, I know, but I hope it finds something, some clue as to what these "episodes" might be that we've noticed for a while.

In other news:

- My husband thinks I'm having a mid-life crisis.

(Although a friend, correctly, points out that it would be more like a one-third-life crisis since I'm 33.)

Anyhow, I dyed a (temporary) purple streak in my hair this weekend. As a test. I really kind of want to make it permanent.

Ray thinks I shouldn't.

He's probably right.

But I'm getting that end-of-winter boredom, when I usually cut off all my hair into a short 'do and then regret it a week later.

So I want to do something different. And I do not want to cut it (it took my two years to get it this long and, now that I'm exercising fairly frequently, I really love being able to pull it back easily).

And I don't want bangs again. I regret those, too, pretty much immediately. 

So instead I want to make my hair purple.

That makes sense, right?

* smile *

- Bethany :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like the temp. purple! It is so fun! Winter has been way too long...hang in there. Love you. Mom