Thursday, June 6, 2013

Millie updates

Lola asked to paint a week or so ago, and of course I let her; the girl loves to paint.

We even had a little more fun with it, letting her finger-paint and make a little bit of a big mess.

Toward the end of the session, I got the idea that we could do a family "portrait" with all of our hand prints.

Lola went first. Then me, and then Ray.

But Millie was still napping, so we had to wait her out.

By the time she woke up, the skies had cleared and Lola desperately wanted to play outside.

So we went outside.

Much later, when it was time for bed, I walked by our work, the paint now dry and the paper partially covered with our three hand prints.

I felt sad that I forgot to get Amelia's print on there as well.

So I very quickly painted Millie's palm and added it to our family art project.

She loved it. She stayed absolutely still as I painted her hand - bright red - and she grinned as she pulled it away from the paper, leaving her mark on the page.

Afterward, she kept pointing to her palm and singing enthusiastically for "more" - but it was too long past bedtime already. So I put her down for the night, feeling mighty guilty that I didn't let her really explore the paints at all.

But I pledged to make it up to her.

On Sunday morning, as Ray slept in, I let her have at it.





She had a great time.

***

In other news, Millie got her "braces" on Tuesday - which are not really braces at all. The orthotics are simply shoe inserts. You can't see them outside of the shoe.

They should improve her positioning. And give her some more confidence moving forward.

She is adjusting. But it's going pretty well thus far.

***

On the medical front, we haven't had much new news.

I will go down to the Cities later this month (June 27) to meet with the neurologist and, hopefully, the geneticist as well, to go over next steps. I don't expect any grand reveals or dramatic tests to be scheduled, though we do know she has another followup exam in the fall due to decreased kidney function (but nothing to worry about at this point, we are told...).
 
Really, things are just ... normal ... for us now, in regards to Millie. She is doing so very well with her signing, speech, eating and physical development. We are so very pleased.

She has, however, hit the Terrible 2s in the last couple of weeks and we're adjusting to having a very opinionated and not-so-easy-going kiddo. One who, very loudly, lets you know her preferences.

Fun times. For real.

Don't get me wrong, it's annoying at times to have her throw herself on the floor in a heap of sadness and frustration, wailing oh-so-pathetically about whatever misfortune has befallen her (i.e. Mommy has to move her away from the oven because she needs to open it to make dinner and I don't want the her to burn herself).

But as trying tantrums can be, they're also a sign that she's getting older.

So I love them.

OK, I don't love them; it's more like I tolerate them.

But I do appreciate them.

Fortunately, they're extremely rare.

More often than not, this is what life is like for us.

Lots of smiles.

video

- Bethany :)

No comments: