Tuesday, July 30, 2013

a fresh start

After sulking all last week, I pledged to pull myself together this week, to not focus on the the what-ifs about Millie's newest test order, but to optimistically plow forward.

I want nothing better than for Lola (and Millie) to have a fun-filled week.

Also, I've been a wee bit panicky about Lola starting kindergarten in a month, knowing that I probably haven't been quite as focused on her skill development as I should be.

So I came up with a plan.

I read something in Parents magazine the other week about taking kids outdoors, bringing along some paint-sample card things to match outdoors plants or objects to their corresponding color.

I took that idea, tweaked it a bunch and introduced Lola yesterday to a new adventure game: Lola's Scavenger Hunt.

Now you should know, I am not a crafty mom.

In June, we made an egg carton crocodile, and halfway into that five-day project I regretted it. Adding insult to injury, the stupid crocodile fell apart about 35 minutes after we finished...

 (Nummy Merida snack...)

So this was outside my comfort zone some, but I really want to make this week super fun for Lola.

First, she got to pick out five crayons.


Then, once outside, using one crayon at a time, she got to match the color of the crayon to something outdoors.

She took the picture of the object next to the corresponding crayon...


And then we went inside to make a chart.

Five lines. Each one was more or less the same: First, she colored in a box with the corresponding color (i.e. green); second, she used a pen to write the word for that color (green); third, she colored a picture of what she found that was that color (a green chair); and then she wrote the word for that object (chair).


She loved every minute of it. More than once, I had to tell her to slow down because she was so excited about doing the next color she was rushing through the current color.

She was so proud of herself.


And, as an added, unexpected bonus, she announced afterward she would hang it on her wall in her bedroom so when Ray comes home Saturday, he can see what we did all week.

"So Daddy can know what we did when he wan't home," she said.

Ideally, we'll do this nightly, once Millie goes to bed, so Lola can have some one-on-one time with me.

I figure it's a good activity for indoors or outdoors and we can even do it if we run errands (they might think we're odd taking pictures inside the grocery store, but we'll go with it).

If nothing else, it gets her excited to practice writing and gives me a chance to help her polish some of her still-developing reading skills in advance of her first day of school in September.

First day of school.

First day of kindergarten.

How did she get so big so fast?!


- Bethany :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

She is so grown-up! I loved the first project...cracked me up! She is super smart...just like her mom!