Thursday, August 1, 2013

a perfect night?

2:30 a.m.

Millie starts whimpering.

That's not terribly unusual. She wakes on occasion, maybe once every week or two, cries for a few minutes and falls back to sleep.

So I pause.

Waiting...


2:33 a.m.

Millie begins shrieking.

So I half-run to her room and find her, lying on her back, screaming, or trying to, while trying to cough whatever is stuck in her chest out of her little throat.

I scoop her up. She catches her breath and waits expectantly until I hand over her "cuddles" -- in the last 2-3 weeks, she has suddenly become inseparable with with her blanket -- ans she lays her head on my shoulder.

And instantly falls asleep.


2:35 a.m.

I'm swaying in her nursery, debating.

Nice mom? Bring her to bed with me, something I haven't done in two years.

Mean mom? Lay her back down so she can get herself back to sleep.

Sometimes you just want to be the hero...


2:36 a.m.

I walk into my bedroom, Millie resting, still, against my shoulder.

She cries out as I pull her from me but when she realizes we're in Mommy's Room, she smiles.

I set her against my pillow and she whimpers, quieting only when I lie down next to her.

She pulls her "cuddles" to her chin and rolls over, resting her head on my chest.

And she sleeps.

I sleep.


4 a.m.

Mustang is not happy.

The Baby is in his usual spot, curled up next to Mommy's side.

He tries to wedge himself between us.

Millie shoves him out of the way.

Mustang whimpers.

Mommy giggles. And then shoos him to the foot of the bed.

Millie turns deeper into my side and I begin softly rubbing the small of her back.

We sleep.


5 a.m.

I'm being tickled.

I fight the very strong urge to throw whatever it is off the bed.

I loathe being tickled.

As I come to consciousness, I see Millie next to me, tracing her index finger over the length of my arm, the top of my hand, mimicking my previous rubbing of her back.

She's still sleeping. Or at least appears to be.

I smile.

And we sleep some more.

Entangled in each other's arms.

- Bethany :)


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

too cute....best Mommy..