Monday, August 5, 2013

Success!

I'm sure I'm going to regret this later.

But I'll say it anyway...

I think I'm getting the hang of this solo-parenting thing.

It took me a few weeks, for sure. But I kind of, really, mostly, somewhat think I'm getting it down pretty well most days.

Take Friday, for instance.

It started with a doctor's appointment for Lola...

She was clean, dressed, polished (mostly) and pretty upbeat about the whole thing.


Because I was less than 70 percent sure that she wasn't getting shots, and I needed to distract her while we were there, we planned for our first-ever away-from-home scavenger hunt and brought along five crayons.

By the time the appointment was over, we found our five colored objects and Lola passed her vision and hearing tests without even one objection. And, added bonus, no shots!

So then it was time for some fun.


I'd promised Lola that if she ws good at the doctor, she could choose what we did the rest of the day (her appointment was at 8:30 a.m. so we had a long day ahead of us).

Lola, in the car, before we even pulled out of our clinic parking space, "I want to go to the swings ride at the place that is really far away!"

(Translation: She wants to go to Nickelodeon Universe at Mall of America, about four hours away from our house.)

Me: "Um, no. I meant you could choose what we do here all day, as in, here in Bemidji."

Lola: "But you said I could pick!"

Me: "You can pick, within reason."

Fortunately, the county fair was in town. And there was a midway...

So, I gave myself a few (dozen) pep talks, convinced myself that, yes, I could manage it on my own, with a 5-year-old who wants to ride roller-coasters all day long and a 2-year-old who is now well into her completely independent stage, and off we went...

Fortunately, both girls were angels.

And they loved it all.








Then, the impossible happened.

I convinced my super shy, introverted, afraid of people and all new things (except roller coasters) soon-to-be-kindergartner to take a pony ride.

Better yet, once she got atop the pony, she loved it.



In fact, since we watched the barrel racing a bit, she's now asking if she can take real horseback-riding lessons...


It was, honestly, one of the best days I can remember.

The only downside -- and it's a biggee, obviously -- was that we were missing Ray.

But I don't want the girls to miss out on experiences just because I'm a little (a lot) afraid of screwing up in public.

So, that evening, I pushed my luck a little bit more and we went down to the waterfront for the kickoff for our local dragon boat festival.



It went fine.

I think we were all mostly worn out from the fair. The parade was fun and such but the girls (and I) were wiped. We went home and crashed.

The next morning, Saturday, Ray was still gone so I packed the girls up for library storytime, more dragon boat racing, and not-everyday activities, such as digging in a big ol' pile of dirt in the middle of downtown.





By the time Ray did get home, we were all more than happy to stay close to the house.

And have lots and lots of Daddy time.

A win-win for everyone, I think.
 
- Bethany :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A perfect time! You did awesome! I love these pics!