Tuesday, October 29, 2013

imperfect perfection

Eight months and 65 pages later, I finished my Disney World scrapbook this past weekend.

I am far, very far, from being any kind of gifted scrapbooker, but I took my time with it and thoroughly enjoyed reliving each day of our trip.

It's done.

And I love it.

Of course, as I approached what would become the final 4-5 pages, I was super psyched and excited, and I couldn't quite mkae it until the girls' bedtimes before I started working on it.

So, while Millie napped Saturday and Sunday, Lola got to pick out her own pages, her own photographs, her own stickers.

And she did a two-page spread herself while I put the finishing touches on my album, perfectly lining up this page with that, figuring out the image for the cover, making sure everything was right, just the way I pictured it.

I'm a bit of a perfectionist. I mean, I have a lot of clothes, but each one hangs in a specific direction in a very specific location. If you asked me to go outside, removed an article of clothing from my closet, and then asked me to name it, I could. I'm that specific.

The same goes for my shoe collection, the girls' clothes, their shoes, our cabinets, etc., etc., etc.

Everything has a spot, a perfect order.

So, when I have an image in my mind of how things are going to be finished, chances are they will end up that way.

Until you add in children.

I finished my scrapbook Sunday, placing the pages in their plastic sleeves as Lola watched.

It wasn't until I got really close toward the end that I noticed Lola's expression changing more and more from excitement to confusion to bordering on sadness.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

I mean, she outnumbers her sister about 10-to-1 in the scrapbook photos so I know that wasn't it. And she loved the entire trip, regardless of her Tower of Terror experience.

She looked down at the table, fingering the borders of her own pages.

"Aren't you going to put mine in the scrapbook too?" she said, quietly.

Oh.

Crap.

I looked again at her pages, two carefully constructed pages highlighting the memories she wanted included: pictures of herself and a Princess, her and Daddy, Millie smiling and laughing.

She'd taken the sparkly letters herself and spelled out Lola, Mom, Dad and Amelia.

She'd taken her pen and very slowly, steadily wrote out at the top of each page, what she said to Mickey after she gave him a hug, "Thank you for letting us come play."

So, in the end, yes, we finished our Disney scrapbook this past weekend.

Eight months and 67 pages later.

- Bethany :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love this story...can't wait to see the finished product!