Thursday, October 3, 2013

Prayers...

She prays.

Or, more accurately, she prompts us to pray.

We sit down at the table, ready to shove forks full of food into our mouths.

And out of the corner of my eye, I see her sitting quietly in her booster chair, her hands clasped together, watching me silently, patiently waiting.

We stop.

We pray.

She smiles.

She stretches her left arm out toward me.

Again, waiting.

I take hold of her left hand with my right hand, offering Ray my left.

He similarly takes Lola's right hand with his left.

And we sing...

Oh the Lord is good to me, and so I thank the Lord...

***

It started, like so many things, by accident.

After praying at dinner time one day, many months ago, I told Lola that when Mommy was a little girl, we used to occasionally sing our prayers, the Johnny Appleseed song.

Her eyes grew so wide as I started signing, Oh the Lord is good to me, and so I thank the Lord...

"We sing that before lunch at my (pre)school!" she shouted.

And so, on occasion, we began signing our dinnertime prayers.

A couple of weeks ago, we recited our usual prayer. Lola, though, then asked if we could sing the Appleseed song too. So we did.

And Millie, who loves all things music, latched on.

Now, every family dinner night, she clasps her hands, always prompting first our spoken prayer.

And then she reaches out, waiting for the music to begin.

***

Ironic, isn't it?

How the kid that doesn't really speak much at all, has so much to say?

And she's usually right...

- Bethany :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think I have read this one at least ten times!