Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Done.

Sunday marked our last Christmas celebration.

And after the hectic-ness of the last 14 days, including how many Christmases?, how many miles traveled?, we returned home yesterday afternoon, about 2:30 p.m., just wiped.

But we came home to a disaster of a house!

I pride myself rather strongly on the orderly-ness of my home. It's constant. Never perfectly clean, mind you, but it is always organized. Picked up. Uncluttered.

Christmas is the one time when we go overboard with knick-knacks, decorations. Add in the mess from Christmases, traveling and everything else (the kids and Ray have been home every day since Dec. 20), and my home was a whirlwind of clutter.

(Insert a small panic here.)

So, at 3:30 p.m., I started cleaning.

With the help of my husband and daughters (the girls, well, not really, but they did sort of, half-heartedly try for 5 or 10 minutes), we tackled the house room by room by room.

We made progress. One square foot at a time.

Ray, for some reason I never determined but also never questioned, continued to be motivated, willing to help not only clean but to de-Christmas-tize the house! At 8 p.m.! After nearly five hours of "regular" cleaning! Happy New Year to me!

I let him go after that, figuring I'd pushed my luck enough.

But I kept at it, starting to tackle closets and clothing...

And, at 11:30 p.m., long after the kids were asleep, I finished the very last pile in my bedroom.

I got the house back to normal.

Organized. Neat. Sparsely decorated.

Insert here a happy sighs. Lots of happy, accomplished sighs.

Why the rush?

A million reasons, really, topped with me wanting to start 2014 off on the right foot; me wanting to scrapbook tonight but knowing I wouldn't be able to do so if the house is a disaster; and just needing to get started so, come Thursday, when we all return to our normal routines, we're ready.

We're ready.

I'm looking forward to 2014.

I do so with mixed feelings -- 2013 was an awesome year, my favorite year to date by far -- but we're all headed down the right path, all together. Optimistic, happy, healthy.

Team Wesley.

We're ready.
- Bethany :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Go Team Wesley! I hope 2014 is an awesome year for all of you!