Friday, December 6, 2013

Life with Lola


I let Lola stay up late last night.

We watched NBC's Sound of Music and had a great time, just snuggling on the couch and laughing a lot at various things.

Well, since I almost always have shows DVRed, this marked perhaps the first time ever that Lola actually watched real adult commercials (versus for example Disney's commercials for its own products and future kids shows).

The St. Jude's commercial came on. The one with Jennifer Aniston and the like, featuring adorable little kids, including those without hair due to their ongoing chemotherapy treatments.

I didn't think anything of it, until I noticed a few seconds after it ended that Lola had stiffened a bit was less jovial.

"What's wrong?" I asked, suspecting the answer.

"That little girl didn't have any hair. Why didn't that girl have any hair?"
 

So we had a discussion about how some kids get sick, some kids need treatments that make their hair fall out.

Cancer. We talked about cancer.

"I never ever want to get cancer," she whispered afterward, twisting her blonde locks around her fingers.

I think I did OK, talking about how in theory, yes, it is possible, but not very likely, how it's mostly kind of rare for kids and it's not something everyone gets, like a cold or tummy sicknesses.

We talked about how some kids have different sicknesses and challenges.

And I never said her name, but Millie was on my mind, as always.

Not like she was yesterday, but in a more positive "we are so lucky" kind of way.

Millie's challenges are surmountable. Nothing tells me otherwise.

We're fortunate, so fortunate.

I'm thankful for the reminder.

- Bethany :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love you...so sweet