Friday, January 3, 2014

a cool first movie

Lola was two and a half when we took her to see her first movie theater, to see Tangled here in town.

Millie was just under two and a half when, just after Thanksgiving, I took her for her first movie theater experience, not knowing how it would go, but expecting she was old enough.

She was with me, my mom, my sister-in-law and her three kids, as we all went to see Frozen in the Cities.

Lola's first movie experience was good but not great. She loved the bulk of the movie but got scared at the end.

Millie, though, loved every minute.

Of the movie.

Of the experience.

Of the theater (which has these super nice lounging theater chairs).

She sat on my lap and didn't move, other than to munch on popcorn, demand more of my drink, and to insist, toward the end, to have her own chair.

She laughed at Olaf, the snowman.

She giggled at Sven, the reindeer.

She swayed to the songs.

She clapped at the end.

It was a very cool experience.

And a good movie.

Lola loved it too, which made me happy. I'd been hoping, because the movie is about two sisters, that it would be a big hit. And it was.

A few weeks later, as we were all were still talking about the movie and watching songs online, we decided to see it again. With Ray.

So we had a family outing, this time in early December at our local theater.

The kids loved it again, and Ray liked it too!, but it was a little more difficult the second time to keep Millie still. She did well, just not as great.

But, just like before, she clapped at the end. And was happy to see Olaf and Sven.

We even ordered the soundtrack.

(Sidenote: Somehow Ray managed to buy maybe an extended version? I don't know, it has 59 songs, many of which are instrumental, but a handful are also the never-released songs that the song writers had developed at one time or another but ended up replacing. It's interesting to hear how the story itself changed over time.)

The soundtrack did lead to one problem though.

I was messing around with the iPod while backing up in the driveway a couple of weeks ago. Since it's been so dang cold this winter, the garage door wasn't working correcly and Ray hadn't been able to pull into his stall.

So his truck was where it shouldn't have been.

And the music was louder than it probably should have been.

And I was definitely more distracted than I should have been.

I backed up right into Ray's truck.

Crunch.

Whoops...

I walked inside, told him flatly what I'd done and, without waiting for a respoonse, continued to go grocery shopping as planned.

Fifteen minutes later, while waiting in line to check out, he called me.

"So," he said, trailing off a bit. "I went outside, to look at the truck..."

And then he just laughed.

And laughed.

And laughed some more.




I'm lucky like that.
- Bethany :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hehehe..good one!