Monday, January 6, 2014

Nothing!

Saturday. I woke up after 9 a.m. to the sounds of Mustang whimpering in his kennel.

Ray had worked late the night before, coming home well after 1 a.m. So I gently, quietly, whispered in his ear, "The kids are still asleep. Do you want to sleep more?"

He gave a slight nod and said, mostly joking, that he'd love it if I let him sleep 'til noon.

I let him fall back to sleep and I shuffled into the kitchen, let the dog out, made coffee and went to check the kids.

Lola was mostly awake, lying in bed with a multitude of toys. None of which was supposed to be a "bedtime" toy.

Millie was sound asleep, snoring. I gently woke her up and she smiled, then immediately signed for food. It's the first thing she does every single morning, before she ever gets out of bed. Breakfast is by far her favorite meal of the day.

Lola joined her at the table and they snarfed down our last snickerdoodle muffins.

And, as I stood there, leaning against the counter top, sipping my coffee, I realized:

I have absolutely nothing to do.

For the first time in weeks, I had no shopping to do. No wrapping. No packing. No cleaning. No laundry. No scrubbing. No organizing. No cooking.

Nothing.

And I smiled.

Lots.

The girls went straight from breakfast to playtime. We read books, we played Barbies, we colored.

At 11:20 a.m., Ray came out of the bedroom as Millie rushed to greet him.

Noting the clock, he looked at me carefully.

He smiled tentatively.

I smiled back. Genuinely.

He relaxed. And said thank you.

The rest of the day, I scrapbooked a bit, I took a nice long bubble bath, and I played lots with my kids and husband.

It was a fantastic day.

Yet if you asked me what we did, I'd probably say, "Nothing much."

And maybe that's what made it so wonderful.
- Bethany :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a perfect day!