Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Party!

Last week, we made another trip out to Lola's school to celebrate the end of their class learning project (their expedition).

They've been working on learning about their school, the people who work there, and what ut means to be part of a community.

Lola had been looking forward to this party for weeks. So when the night finally came, I was a little surprised to have her greet me at the door in tears.

"I don't want to go," she said, crying.

Um....  what?

After about 15-20 minutes of slowly, carefully prodding and questioning, I was pretty sure I figured out the issue.  I didn't write about it at the time, but at Lola's first conference in November, she had a bit of a meltdown. I'm fairly sure it was because she fell asleep in the car on the way there (she is so her mother's daughter...) and she was out of sorts when we got to the school. She came out of it eventually, but it was a bit of a struggle initially.

Last week, I think she convinced herself that the "party" was going to be like conferences, which as hers are student-led, meant she had to talk and lead the discussion between her parents and her teacher, about what she does well and what she could do better, etc.

After about 15-20 minutes I convinced her this wasn't the case and it would be fun.

She wasn't sure, but agreed that she wanted to go for the treats.

Once we got there, though, she dove right in.

She was so happy to share with us all the projects they've been working on and what she's learned.

 
***

Her "first" self-portrait. Which wasn't really first, but the first polished one. One of the things theywere working on was how to do drafts of something, to learn how to make it better, to improve. This was rather neat, I thought.

***

Another lesson was learning about the school and the people who work there. To do that, they learned to interview people. Because I do what I do, I got to visit a few months ago and help with that just a little bit.


They then each interviewed a staff member, did a report, and they were then compiled into books.
 
***

Another component was learning the campus. It's a unique campus.

So the students were all invited to use tools to explore their surroundings and to, eventually, draw several maps (again, in drafts) of the campus to learn the important places at the school.




It was a fun little evening.

I loved hearing -- and seeing! -- everything she's been working on. To see what interests her, what gets her excited, that is always fun.

- Bethany :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

She is learning so much there! What a great school you have her in. But, she is growing up so fast! Love all the pics too! She is such her mother's daughter:).