Monday, February 24, 2014

just words

Isn't it ironic...

I was thinking that this weekend, while communicating with Millie through gestures, signs and vocal inflection, that a person (me) so attached and enamored with words has a child who doesn't have verbal language.

I don't know how much I believe in a set path for people, for their lifespan. But I do believe that gifts are given to us to enhance our lives, to who we are or can become.

Millie is such a gift.

(And, yes, Lola too, as are all children I am sure, but I'm focusing on the Millie angle here today.)

Amelia, whose given name I'm trying to use more because I'm not sure she even knows it, has brought to my life a spotlight on the things that do matter, those that aren't maybe as important as I'd previously thought, and a whole new idea about how to "talk" to other people.

We went to a football game the other night, and they were making balloon animals for the kids. Millie asked for, and received, a giraffe and afterward I prompted her to sign "thank you."

The man immediately signed back, "You're welcome," and Millie, as surprised as I was, just beamed.

He spoke her language.

Without verbally saying a word.

That was cool.
- Bethany :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Super cool! Grandma and Grandpa need to learn lots more too. Our precious little Amelia...