Wednesday, March 5, 2014

my 'baby' no more...

About two months ago, I took the toddler potty out of storage.

I cleaned it. I set it up. I learned the ASL sign for potty.

We waited. I was in no hurry, but I did want her to see it, to understand what it is, who it is there for.

About a month ago, she began sitting on it. Fully clothed for pretend potty breaks.

A couple of weeks ago, I made her sit on it naked, before bathtime. She screamed.

We backed off, and waited some more, letting her come to it in her own way, her own time.

About a week ago, she began signing potty, then running over to the bathroom to go sit on the potty, again fully clothed.

A few days ago, Millie was ready for bathtime. Ray figured he'd give it another try. So he asked if she wanted to go potty. She happily went over, sat down, and went tinkles!

Since then, she has used her potty about six or seven times, each time without fail.

This morning, when I went to get her dressed, she flipped out, signing "no" very emphatically every time I went to put on her diaper. She wants big-girl panties like Lola.

So, it looks like we have our plans for the weekend.

Potty-training. I was really kind of hoping to wait until it warmed up a bit. But she's apparently ready, and we don't want to miss the window to at least get started...

My littlest little "baby" no more...

What a big girl.

- Bethany :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Great job Millie! Such a big girl!