Friday, February 27, 2015

the easiest hard decision

A couple of weeks ago, an incident happened near here that prompted Ray and I to consider our future plans. Did we want to move to a new house, in a different neighborhood? Was it worth it, if it meant cutting back on some fun, perhaps more regular vacations? If it caused us to slow down some on our savings?

What did we want for the future?

And we knew the answer; it's the same answer that's been floating around us for the last two, three, seven years: We want our kids to be happy and to reach their full potentials, no matter what that might be.

Today, with a whole range of raw emotions, I gave notice that I'd be leaving my job, my career. April 24 will be my last day at the newspaper where I've worked -- I'd like to think fairly dutifully -- for the last seven-plus years.

Come April 27, I'll be Mom.

It's going to be tough, it's going to be tight, but it's going to be completely worth it.

I don't know what will happen, if working with Millie on a consistent, every-single-day-several-times-a-day basis will help her to bridge the gap from where she is now and where she "should" be, but I do know this: I will never regret trying.

2 comments:

just bob said...

You were one of the first people from Bemidji to talk to me when I was named GM at Sanford Center. I remember doing that phone interview with you while I was still in San Jose.

I wish you all of the best on your future plans Bethany!

Laurie said...

Well, my first thought when you shared this news with me was that the opportunity to work with Millie several times a day and give her that extra preparation certainly couldn't hurt and probably will help enough to make this all worth it. I wish you the best and hope I can spend more time with you!