Tuesday, May 26, 2015

one month in...

Well, it has been four weeks “at home” now and I think that while I've learned a lot about myself and my girls, I think the top lesson I've learned (or re-learned as it may be) is this: I'm no Martha Stewart.

Case in point: I'm 35 years old and just learned last Wednesday (thanks to Martha!), that the top of the stove lifts up for easier cleaning. What a cool discovery that was (until, of course, I actually saw what was underneath - ick).
 
My house, while I was working, was always more or less organized, but it was rarely as clean as it could be, as in scrubbed and polished and all of that. But thanks to my “retirement” (Ray hates that word, lol), I've had more time to do more of that.
 
A couple of weeks ago, I was able to finally go room by room and polish the floors and scrub all the nooks and crannies and everything. I was about two-thirds of the way through the living room, cleaning the floors with what I thought was wood-cleaner stuff when I actually read the bottle: foaming bathroom cleaner. Whoops. Still, it did work rather nicely.
 
Another thing I've done more of lately is actual cooking. I mean, I did cook a fair amount while working, but that consisted of more quick-and-easy kind of meals. Now, I actually do that whole “shopping on the outside of the grocery store instead of the inside aisles thing” and I've been able to make more things from scratch. Overall, it's working rather well. The girls are actually asking for fruits and vegetables for snacks and I think our food choices are improving, albeit gradually.
 
But it comes with drawbacks.
 
A week or so ago, I was boiling water. That's all I was doing. Or trying to do when Ray called to me from the living room, saying that it smelled like something was burning. Sure enough, there was smoke coming from the stove and/or oven and within moments that turned into rather impressive medium-sized flames. 
 
No one panicked or was in danger or anything, but it was a rather chaotic two minutes.
 
As we soon learned, I've, um, been neglecting the requisite cleaning of the gunk underneath the drip pans. So, I spent a few hours last week scrubbing and cleaning the stove and oven.
 
So I'm four weeks in to this stay-at-home-mom thing. How am I doing? Quite fine. I haven't burned the house down yet or anything. But it's not for a lack of trying. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are doing amazing! Proud of you...you are certainly learning lots of cleaning tips!